2007 Ford Ranger Reviews

Year of manufacture2006
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 4.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Definitely still a market for the smaller pickup, let's hope Ford doesn't discontinue this truck!

I bought this pickup from a Honda dealer in the fall of 2009, as the lease was winding down on our Civic, and they had the truck we were looking for.

A few months later, we had issues with the truck not starting -- the radio, lights, etc. would work, but the engine wouldn't turn over.

After several trips to third-party garages and two tows, the Honda dealer finally sent the truck to a Ford dealership, where immediately they told me that there was a recall on this model for a defective anti-theft sensor. It was covered under Ford's warranty, and neither myself or the Honda dealer had to pay a cent.

Knock on wood, this has been the only issue I have had with the truck.

General Comments:

This a great little truck. Plenty of room for the 2 of us with lots of storage space behind the seat (side-facing rear seats are not comfortable for passengers!).

Our ATV fits nicely in the 6' box, and it easily tows our boat.

The 4x4 is great for our tough Canadian winters, and the A/C is cool and refreshing in the warmer months.

Truck rides great on the highway with lots of power, although gas mileage in the city is tough (like all Rangers), but we knew this when we bought it.

Review Date: 6th September, 2010

2007 Ford Ranger Thunder Double Cab 2.5 TDCi from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2007
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.5 TDCi Manual
Previous carMitsubishi L200

Summary:

Not fit for the job, poor engineering

Car was pre registered by Ford dealer in 2007.

Car never sold.

I bought it in May this year.

Clutch packed in 3 weeks after buying it.

At under a 1000 miles, Ford are trying to say it's wear and tear, yes, wear & tear @ under 1000 miles and no towing.

And they say they are not covering it under warranty either.

Further enquiries reveals I'm not alone with this problem, Oh NO! It would seem from reading other owners complaints, the clutch just isn't up to the job, and of course Ford don't want to know, even though they know there is a problem and have since had to modify the clutch in the current model.

So Ford's 3 year warranty isn't 3 years because I've been told the 2nd. & 3rd. years are very limited in what Ford in fact do cover.

General Comments:

Disgusted with my treatment, and don't buy a FORD.

A Canadian once told me FORD stands for FIX OR REPAIR DAILY. I know now unfortunately what he was getting at.

Review Date: 14th December, 2009

2007 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 4.0L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2006
Engine and transmission 4.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carMazda 323

Summary:

Fantastic "little" truck!

Not one thing.

General Comments:

4.0L V6 is the only option for this truck IMO.

The cabin could be larger. The bed could be deeper.

The only reason I sold it was I needed more space in the cab!

Review Date: 24th November, 2009

2007 Ford Ranger STX 2.3L Duratec from North America

Year of manufacture2007
Engine and transmission 2.3L Duratec Manual
Distance when acquired22000 kilometres
Previous carChevrolet C1500

Summary:

Pleasant low cost simple small pickup

1. One valve stem rotted, and I got a jackstand under the truck just in time after I added air and the stem began to hiss. I then twisted it off with my fingers. A second stem was following the same trajectory. All four replaced under Ford hidden recall.

TR413 valve stems made in China for Dill by Topseal had UV exposure problems in 2007.

2. There is no front driver side wheel well engine protector flap so I had to make my own. Apparently this is a Ford design to address overheat problems in hotter climes. (wrong from the factory!)

3. Some cab plastics vibration under load at the low end of the lower gears. I don't feel I'm lugging the engine so the plastic will need some shims once I determine where.

4. No protective rad grill. Had to fabricate one. (wrong from the factory!)

General Comments:

Sailing at 100Km/hr in 5th and getting between 12 to 13Km/L with a truck cap is a pleasure that does not wear out. There is enough power to go up most hills without gearing down. It's just a little bit sporty and also lacking wind noise. It is solid and smooth on the road, but if I hit a good bump I do notice a bit of unstable front end steering "twitch" or oscillation, which I'll have to be extremely wary of in winter.

Seating just accommodates a 6ft tall driver. The 7foot box is worth getting if you ever want to sleep in the back.

I'm disappointed that I can't buy a rear wheel protector insert and will have to make one. I disposed of the toy spare tire and will install an oil pressure gauge and a serviceable air filter. Given I paid half price, I'm pleased with the simple truck: it should serve me well when high fuel prices return.

Review Date: 25th September, 2009