2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4x4 Super Cab 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

This is like a sports car for truck people. There is nothing I would change about it

Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

I have owned pickup trucks since 1978, this is the best yet. I own an F-150 and Taurus, and if I had to choose, this is my favorite vehicle.

I bought it in April, 2009, with 3,600 miles on it, and now have 19,500 on it. I try to drive one of my others, but it is hard to stay out of it.

The engineering and drive train are remarkable. The 4.0 V-6 has plenty of power, the 5 speed automatic shifts perfectly. It has the 4.10 limited slip rear gear, so you must be careful on a wet road, but I baby it any way, but just put a lot of miles on it.

I have it serviced every 3 to 4,000 miles and tires rotated, it has not needed anything but windshield washer fluid. It has absolutely no leaks, and underneath is as clean as the day I purchased it.

The sport package really sets it apart from other vehicles, and the fit and finish is immaculate.

Review Date: 28th May, 2010

2008 Ford Ranger 4.0L from North America

Summary:

I love my little Ranger, and I believe I will own it for years to come

At 23,000k the cat went, dealer replaced it no charge.

General Comments:

Seats are comfy.

Rides good and handles well.

Decent sound system.

Good amount of power @3000 rpm 240 ft-lbs. 220 hp @ 5000rpm, but I seldom rev it that high.

The only complaint I can think of is sometimes it feels sticky trying to get it into 1st gear from neutral at a stoplight. It was a lease return, and shows some signs of abuse though.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2010

2008 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab 4x4 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

No wonder Rangers are the best selling compact trucks!

ABS sensor went bad at 60k.

General Comments:

This truck dosen't handle as well as my Tacoma. It rolls more around turns, but I know both of them are NOT cars. The body quivers a lot more on washboard roads, and the rear end will slide sideways slightly on very bumpy roads, where my Tacoma wouldn't even think twice about.

But other than that, I like my Ranger MUCH better. The Ranger feels like a real truck in comparison. I like the layout of the interior better. I like the side facing back seats. If theres only one passenger back there, they can stretch out their legs.

Gas mileage is comparable to my Tacoma, and my Tacoma had the 2.7 liter 4. I wish the 4.0 in the Ranger would rev more freely like the Tacoma.

Overall, I like my Ranger better. My Tacoma was falling apart at 109k (that's why I bought my Ranger).

Review Date: 23rd April, 2008

18th Dec 2008, 22:23

My son bought a new Ranger back in June 2001, he spent 5 years up in the NWT and northern Canada (gravel roads and 40 below winters). In winter he, d be driving across ice bridges, in Spring the water would be up to the hubs, he returned down south (Calgary area) couple years ago, and is still driving the Ranger everyday. His soon to be 8 year old truck has had one wheel bearing replaced, "and that's it".

So impressed was I, that I went out and bought a 2008Ranger, mine has the 2.3 liter I4 while his has the Vulcan 3.0 V6. If more people knew how great these little trucks were, it would save Fords bacon.

19th Dec 2008, 17:56

22:23 makes an excellent point. Too many people base their buying decisions on ad hype. The Ranger is a really great little truck. Our family companies have used the Rangers as company vehicles for almost 22 years now. There are still some '93's in the fleet. Getting 300,000 miles out of the very reliable 4 cylinder engines is typical.

I've owned 4 Rangers as personal vehicles since 1992 and none has ever required a single repair.

The October 2007 issue of Consumer Reports features a Ranger with 477,000 trouble-free miles on it.

As a mechanic I'd choose a Ford Ranger over any small pickup on the market. The design may be dated, but the engines and drive trains are rock solid.

3rd Mar 2010, 04:10

I got my 08 Ranger, Blue, ext cab, 4x4, 4L, 5spd, 7 months ago.

The cat needed to be replaced at 23,000k and Ford paid for it.

This is my 4th Ranger, 3 were 4x4. I have owned over 60 vehicles in 25 years of driving and only the 73-79 Dodge power wagon (owned 4 of those, 3 Ramchargers) is a better 4x4 - mostly cause I didn't care about the paint.

I love my little Ranger, it has sweet torque at 3000 rpm and with Scorpion A/T's it handles quite well.

The stock tires are quite lame and need to be replaced as soon as you transfer it into your name.

Next time I am getting the FX4! Nice truck, Thanks Ford.