2006 Ford Taurus SEL 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

A good, affordable solid car

The A/C clutch is noisy and needs to be replaced (just bought the part).

Left rear turn signal bulb blew out at 71,000.

Twice, the windows wouldn't go down. I turned the car off and back on again, and they worked fine after that. Weird.

General Comments:

When I first got it, I felt like I bought a firm leather chair on wheels with a killer stereo.

This car has every available option except the sunroof. It's black, with gray leather, wood accents, and I sometimes feel like I am driving a Lincoln.

If you can find a fully loaded Gen 4 Taurus with low miles, seriously consider it. I love the ABS, traction control, and the automatic climate control. Also make sure you get the Mach stereo with 6 disc changer in the armrest.

The ride is smooth, but not too squishy around the corners, and the brake pedal is firm. I wish Ford had included a rear anti-swaybar and rear disc brakes; that is the advantage my old '94 Taurus had over this one. But overall, I am satisfied with the handling and brakes.

Acceleration is OK. If you want a little more pep, I suggest looking for an '05 model with the Duratec engine (which is sadly not available on the '06). But the 3.0 Vulcan engine in the '06 is one of the best V6 engines Ford ever made. Also, from 2004 on, all Taurus models received the better transmission, the AX4N. It shifts very smoothly, and it seems to know when I want it to downshift, or maybe I adapted to it. I don't know, but it is the first auto I have ever not hated.

Maintenance is easy and affordable so far. If you keep the fluids and filters changed, and don't drive like you're always in a hurry, then it will last you a long time.

Overall, it is a great family car, very safe, comfortable, and roomy for our needs.

Review Date: 19th February, 2012

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Perfect for the right driver

Required front brakes at 30,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is the perfect blend of low price $11,000.00), low maintenance and a comfortable drive, perfectly blended for an age 70's driver (which I am). Soft and large seats, plenty of leg room and a big trunk.

The cost to maintain is very low, and the actual mileage on regular gas is an average of 22 miles per gallon.

A perfect car to drive for the next 10 years before considering a 2015 Taurus.

Review Date: 14th March, 2010

2006 Ford Taurus SEL V6 from North America

Summary:

Good general in town car

The transmission is leaking fluid from the dip stick while sitting in cold weather (MN). Motor is not running when the leak is observed. Removed dip stick and fluid comes out.

General Comments:

It has been an fine car until this problem appeared.

Review Date: 13th April, 2009

13th Apr 2009, 13:12

This "review" should be deleted.

23rd Jun 2009, 21:19

This is a great review... to the point, buddy likes it, has had no problems till the possible tranny leak. Works for me!

Oh and I have a 2009 Ford Fusion... with a Mazda engine and tranny... Anyone know if the Taurus tranny is a Mazda??

CHAMBERS.

2006 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Mediocre

Cracked heads.

General Comments:

I bought the car because it looked nice, felt comfortable and was affordable with low miles.

I purchased it from a dealership and it was under factory warranty until 36,000 miles. Naturally, just out of the warranty, the check engine light came on. Shortly thereafter the heater stopped working.

The shop diagnosed a head gasket, but as it turns out, the gaskets were fine but the heads (both) were cracked. This vehicle never overheated, the fluids were maintained, and the guages all read in the proper levels.

The shop tells me that the 3.0 motor is "junk". They tell me it is a common issue with heads and gaskets on these motors. I tried for weeks to deal with Ford and get some help, but to no avail. No warranty, no help, period. This is the 3rd Ford I've owned, but never another.

I assume the previous owner MAY have run the car hot, but then it took considerable time to finally rear its ugly head.

The biggest disappointment: no help from Ford with an engine issue that seems to be fairly prevalent according to my research and to the mechanic.

Review Date: 11th December, 2008

14th Jun 2009, 14:47

There's a reason these stupid things have an ABOMINABLE resale value. I have an 05' as well and it's already needing a SECOND rebuild of the tranny. So much for that "Quality Renewal" from Ford.