2002 Ford Windstar Sport 3.8 litre V6 from North America
This is a reliable, smooth driving, comfortable, and an excellent family vehicle.
We had to replace the brakes (including calipers, drums, rotors, and pads).
We have a coolant reservoir that is leaking at the seam (in the middle of the reservoir).
We replaced the back tires (Goodyear Regatta 2).
The factory 6-disc CD changer was defective when we bought the van. We replaced it with a Panasonic deck, and recently replaced that with a Kenwood deck (MP3, WMA, etc.)
We recently replaced the air filter with a K&N air filter.
We have 4 children and the interior handles all of us (6) with lots of comfort.
There is plenty of room for storage even with all of us inside.
This van handles very well for a 5560 lb vehicle.
The fuel consumption is high, although the weight of this van explains it.
We do the regular maintenance (oil changes, air filter, tires, brakes, etc.)
We haven't had any significant problems with this van yet (we have put over 17, 000 kms on this van) and we are quite happy with this purchase.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 6th August, 2006
22nd Aug 2006, 12:30
I made a mistake. The Ford Windstar Sport isn't 5560 lbs, it is 4194 lbs.
8th Jun 2007, 11:39
So believe it or not I have 136,000 on original transmission. How you may ask... every 30,000 I shove a lawn mister hose down the transmission fill/check tube and drain it off and add 1 slick50 for transmission and the rest High mileage transmission fluid (cars over 75K), been doing this since the first slip at 55k. She is still smooth. There is a heat problem and the fluid burns, sludges and generally makes a mess over time.
Now other issues,
* The power window only work on passenger side, all other power windows and back vent windows do not work. (cleaned the contacts did not help)
* I am having the high current draw issues, put a 135 amp alternator in and still get a battery light if the air is on and I am at idle (there is a service notice on this). Looking at an ebay 200 amp job... that will give me 85 to 95 amp at idle... that should help the air conditioner.
* Passenger power lock does not work, and driver side is intermittent
* rear air fires up, but blows no where I can find, vacuum leak I think. But all the hoses are cold.
* had a chaffing short on the headlight, had to pull the harness and solder/heat shrink the break. Re-taped the entire harness and pulled every connector, cleaned them with electrical contact cleaner and then dielectric greased them up.
* Still have power loss on hot days, not sure if it is electrical or the head gasket, but this has been going on since about 60K. The engine light goes on and it is linked to the number 3 cylinder.
* Driver wiper has lost pressure, just will not push on the windshield enough to get a solid clean wipe.
* Water short, on really wet days, water gets somewhere and causes misfire and engine light goes on.
* Stupid hubcap clear coat is peeling off.
* Cup holders on the center bench seat will not stay in the locked position.. need a bigger magnet.
* front left caliper needs replacement, sometime sticks a little causing abnormal wear and some pull, sometimes...
* ABS wire chaffed and broke... soldered it back and it is fine.
If you are handy and you like to tinker... then this is for you... it keeps going and it is paid for...