1996 Geo Metro from North America - Comments

3rd Dec 2008, 01:31

37 mpg for commuter driving is about right for a 95 Metro. The 95 and up Metro's were a bit heavier than the older models, so fuel mileage went down some, but not much. There were also some engine tweaks for lower emissions, which also resulted in a bit less fuel mileage. Give it a tuneup if you haven't for a while, and it might help improve your fuel mileage.

22nd Mar 2009, 02:04

I HAVE A 1996 GEO 2DR 270000KM OR 160000 MILES. I get around 57 mph.

Had the head redone and the belt changed. Tip: don't skip on the belt.

The car still has no rust, runs good and only costs 15 bucks to fill.

Our family owns 4 Geos.

Tip: never put too much oil in it or you may have to replace the dist gasket and the timing belt could be pooched, covered with oil.

It is too bad GM won't bring the Geo back. Just add the turbo.

Tip: Ethanol gets 30% less mileage than gas.

Good car, love my Geo, just don't forget to love it back.

Thanks.

2nd Apr 2011, 22:55

I've got a 1996 Geo Metro too, and it stops on me and starts back up. Could you tell me what you found on yours? Thanks.

4th Apr 2011, 13:06

More than likely your ignition coil is on the way out.

29th Aug 2011, 20:48

Metros are such great cars. Reliable and great fuel economy. Some of the interior parts are cheap and break easy, but most things on the car are an easy cheap fix. With a little care, they run forever. Long live the Metro!

26th Nov 2011, 13:33

I have a 96 Geo, and yes I was picked on also. It ran fine, then acted like it wasn't getting gas, sputtered and stopped. After it cooled down, it started and I barely got it home. I have changed the fuel filter and pump.. Tested the pick up coil, fuel regulator and the injector. Now about to test the coil... any advice?

26th Nov 2011, 13:53

I am have similar problems with my Geo. It keeps cutting off like it's not getting gas. I've tried fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil, and checking coil next, also checked fuel injector.. If someone figures this out, email me. Seems to be a common problem with Geos. atheistrule@yahoo.com

29th Nov 2011, 15:48

Hello! I own a 96 Metro, and lately I've been freaking myself out about it!! When I first bought it almost a year ago, I didn't realize that it had a pretty bad oil leak on it; got everywhere! But once I got that fixed, the car has been squeaking like crazy!! It usually squeaks when it's cold, when I stop, when I go, when I start it! ERR!! Now it feels like it just wants to drop dead after leaving a stop light!!

I've got two boys, and I really don't want to get into panic mode with this car!! But I do really love it!! Not sure if the best thing for me and my car is just to junk it or save it!! Feel free to email me with opinions!! Any idea for me will help!! Thank you!

- Destiny