2006 GMC Canyon Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2006 GMC Canyon 2.8L 4 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carFord Bronco II

Summary:

I could drive this vehicle, and this vehicle only for the rest of my life and be happy!

Occasional rough idle issue when cold (never dies, just drops down to 300 RPM then jumps back up again once or twice) ; took to dealer to diagnose and they "could not reproduce the problem". Typical cop-out, but I am not concerned because it never fully dies.

Intermittent problem with interior light not coming on, or turning off before I have exited the vehicle (it automatically illuminates when the key is removed from the ignition). Light will not come on when the doors open. I have checked the dome-light override, that is not the problem. Some string of programming was not checked out properly or something...

Other intermittent computer "glitches" but nothing that affects drive-ability/usability. For example, it started to single-honk when I would lock the doors at one point in time (which is a programmable feature) but I DID NOT program it to do this. Then, without me changing the programming it stopped. There have been a few similar oddities with the computer-controlled systems, but like I said NOTHING that has affected drive-ability/usability at all!

Front wheels were out of alignment from the factory. Easy fix, but I was irritated to hear from the alignment shop that this is a common theme.

General Comments:

4 door crew-cab, with plenty of room in the back seat. The bed is small, but ample for average Joe's needs.

Excellent fuel economy from the 4 cylinder, 23 city 30 highway. It is a tad underpowered, but with the standard trans down shift can be quick and speed can be brought up to where needed. I probably would not want an automatic version of this vehicle.

Reliability has been outstanding; the vehicle has NEVER let me down so far, and I have driven it up and down the Alaska highway, and down to CA from WA several times. It is roomy enough for cross-country, but compact enough to make driving/parking in Seattle easy. Perfect balance between stuffed-clown-car and behemoth-gas-guzzler!

I will never purchase a truck without 4 doors again, this vehicle meets the needs of having a small sedan AND having a small pickup to haul cargo.

The back seat is uncomfortable for most adult passengers for longer rides due to the angle of the seat; there is NO recline (almost a perfect 90 deg.). Decent leg-room, though, unlike most extended cab trucks.

I was a little disappointed in the max trailer weight of 1000 pounds, but with the weight of a 4 door cab combined with a 4 cylinder engine you can't ask for much more.

Overall, this has been an excellent vehicle that meets fuel economy needs, passenger capacity needs (5 normal adults), cargo needs, and you can even pull a small trailer! I recommend this vehicle to everyone who asks! Watch for updates to this article as a rack up the miles!

Review Date: 1st July, 2008

18th Feb 2012, 11:21

I wrote the above article. Traded the truck in and miss it, but my family grew, and it was time to get more seating! Final comments:

- Heater fan had a "cricket" in it for a long time. It didn't bother me, but my more sensitive passengers would start getting a little edgy (love you dear! ;-) ).

- Heater motor switch started to work on higher settings only; probably an issue with the switch.

- Interior light problem I mentioned above continued. The lights wouldn't always come on when you opened the doors. Real pain when you are trying to gather all your things at night. I would use the key-fob to unlock the doors, this would activate the light.

- This was a good truck, as I said it always started and went where I needed it, then got me back again. I would still own it if it weren't for the need for more seating.

2006 GMC Canyon extended cab 3.7L Vortec 5 from North America

Model year2006
Engine and transmission 3.7L Vortec 5 Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

Would buy another

Two separate small issue occurred, first was the airbag and horn system malfunction. Basically the middle of the steering wheel moved about 1/4 inch out. That was with in the first month. In June the window came out of the tracks, not a big deal, both under warranty, and also both quick fixes.

General Comments:

I have owned the truck for about 1 year now, the seats and carpet have held up just fine. When I detail it, its like new, and I am a arborist, which is a dirty job. I get up to 23.51 mpg on the highway and for city 16.82 mpg is the average I ve been getting. I keep a log on fuel and mileage etc... It's a smooth ride, quite, very good turn radius. Looks good, would recommend this truck for sure..

Review Date: 4th July, 2007