1989 GMC Sierra 1/2 Ton 383 stroker from North America

Summary:

A fun little truck

The original 5.7 V8 needed valve guides, but still ran reliably.

The only thing I have absolutely needed to change was the front end tie rod ends, ball joints etc.

General Comments:

It's the regular cab step side short box, and looks very mean for such a small truck. The cab is very spacious, but not very LXT, no A/C, no power windows etc. It is however a good off road vehicle; the short wheelbase and high stance make it near unstoppable.

Review Date: 29th October, 2014

1989 GMC Sierra 5.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

Great

I haven't had it for to long, but just before this winter its started to stutter when you first push the gas down, it sometimes stalls, I don't mean just driving like almost stomping sometimes while driving I was wondering if anyone knew what it was I've changed all things like spark plugs, air filter, all that and it stills does it, but that's the only thing that's gone wrong can anyone help me there has it happens to yours???

Please help me its making me mad and I don't want to spend a fortune just for some stupid mechanic to look at it...

General Comments:

Over all I like the truck its the best vehicle I've had to tell the truth.

Review Date: 13th April, 2006

28th Jun 2006, 14:14

It sounds like you have bad compression- I.E lifters, rings even pistons.

12th Oct 2006, 09:35

Check your spark plug wires. I owned a 1990 Chevy S-10 and I had to replace them about every year. I was told that for some reason this was a problem. It was worse when it was raining or very damp out.

1989 GMC Sierra 5.7L Gasoline EFI from North America

Summary:

I love my pickup.

The gas gage, or the in-tank fuel sensor is bad. it appears there was a short resulting in a minor fire contained to the positive wire for the under-hood light. The back-up lights do not work likely due to a lazy clutch job in which the sensor's wiring were removed. The idle sounds high, but I have not checked it.

General Comments:

I have the "sport side" model. It is rear wheel drive.

The overall design of the truck is aesthetically pleasing (minus the fender flares flat portions and ride height from the rear leaf springs.)

Comfort on the interior is decent. I am 6'1" tall and the stick shift is just within the comfortable range while shifting to 5th gear. I give it a low rating because I have a bench seat not not the bucket seats with the center console, which I find to be much more comfortable. I also think the truck could use telescopic steering to go with the tilt. It feels a bit close for my long arms. Anyone who is completely comfortable driving that way likely has to lean foreward a lot to drop it into 5th gear.

Power and response are very good for a stock engine (with a K&N air filter with a gutted intake tube.) This truck handles great for leaf springs, the struts are still good, I overload it, tow logs with it, while it is loaded to capacity... over 400 lbs in the bed and towing about 2,000 or more pounds of timber over gravel in first gear with no throttle applied. I also have run this baby into some huge r.p.m.'s (I have no clue how much, no stock tachometer) and buried the speedometer plenty. I can't beat it up, and I am good at beating up cars.

Review Date: 16th November, 2005

1989 GMC Sierra SLE 5.7 V8 from North America

Summary:

This is one good truck

The paint (white) has chipped off on the hood and roof over the last few years. I keep the truck waxed and clean so that was unexpected even for a 15 year old truck.

Replaced rear main seal at 160k.

It is now on its third clutch, last one replaced at 160k also.

Replaced alternator at 140k.

Headliner is getting a little saggy.

Replaced steering box and most front end components at 130k.

Left power window motor is now intermittent.

General Comments:

This truck is very well built and durable. I have not had a "major" repair yet and the engine still runs strong (I have kept the oil changed regularly at 3k intervals).

Interior still in very good condition.

Review Date: 11th March, 2004

12th Oct 2006, 09:33

I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not... But if you are the original owner, GM will repaint this vehicle for you at no charge!!! I had a 1990 Chevy S-10 and the paint started chipping a peeling. Evidently GM had a 'silent' recall that would allow 'original' owners of all GM vehicles between certain years, I think 89-95, free paint jobs. They never sent out 'recall' notices because it wasn't a 'safety issue'. I'm not sure if they are still honoring this or not, but it wouldn't hurt to check...

1st Jun 2012, 11:32

I have a 1989 GMC Sierra 1500 5.7L.

I LOVE MY TRUCK.

The only problems I have with it, are that the white paint is chipping, flaking and peeling off... down to the metal. I keep it clean and washed, so it surprised me that it would have done this. But, all I see on the road is 1989 GMC Sierra 1500's with peeling, flaking and chipping paint.

The other problem I have had is the steering column with tilt broke... while I was driving my truck... YES, while I was driving... it broke and I had it in my hands, trying to put it back in place, it was connected by the wiring... So, I won't have another vehicle with tilt steering. I had a straight column put in... Much better.

But now if I could only get GMC to repaint my truck at no cost to me... I will be a VERY happy camper and truck owner.

I might be a girl... BUT I LOVE MY TRUCK. It sounds good, runs great, gets it when I want to go, and like I said, it needs a new paint job.

Donna May Johnson, Millen, Ga 30442.