1999 GMC Suburban K1500 LS 5.7 Liter from North America

This can be an expensive car to keep

Spun bearing at 112000. Engine rebuild was $3500.

Fuel pump failed at 93000 and at 117000.

Entire front end suspension rebuild, pitman arm, idler arm, ball joints, tie rods and ends, and shocks.

Brakes about every 25000.

Alternator at 32000.

Front exterior door handles broken.

Interior door opening mechanism barely works.

Purchased for $25000, I have spent $10000 in repairs over the last 5 years.

General Comments:

Looks and rides great. Runs great when nothing is broken. A real road/off-road machine. No rival on snow and ice.

Review Date: 13th September, 2015

1999 GMC Suburban from North America

Mold smell. I had a foul smell and could not find out where it was coming from. I removed the carpeting and found the a lot of water. I put a hose on the car and found water getting in between the carpet and the floor of the car under the dash. I followed the path of water and it was one of the screws that holds the black grill under my wipers on has fallen out, and the water came in every time it rained. New screw and silicone, and the smell went away. I thought it was the A/C, but realized it was really bad after rain

Review Date: 3rd August, 2008

1999 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7 from North America

By far, this is the best vehicle I have ever owned

The fuel pump went out at 160,000 miles.

The leather on the drivers seat cracked and ripped.

General Comments:

I love this truck. I traded in a brand new 2001 Tundra after 4 months to buy my second Suburban- which was used.

1999 was the last year of the best body style GMC has had for the Suburban and my truck is gorgeous.

It handles great, has a powerful engine, and drives like a dream. I have replaced the alternator twice, the fuel pump once, and most recently the radiator. However, I think for 245,000 miles, those kinds of things need to be replaced! I drive 3000 miles a month and get great gas mileage, averaging 15.86 miles per gallon (I check with each fill-up).

She is getting old and I'm starting to hear some noises in the engine that concern me. After looking at what is on the market now, I am seriously considering buying her a new engine rather than buy a new vehicle. Her body style is great and I haven't seen another SUV that even comes close. This is a luxury vehicle and I have no complaints.

Review Date: 26th November, 2007

10th Jun 2010, 11:22

I don't know about you, but where I come from, 15.86 miles per gallon is not great gas mileage.

18th Mar 2011, 17:27

15.86 miles per gallon for a Suburban, probably running a 350 is pretty decent mileage. You also have to factor in the trouble free miles from this unit. It's great to get really high fuel economy, but one must factor in the maintenance and reliability cost into the mix.

1999 GMC Suburban LS 4x4 5.7L gas from North America

All four electric door actuators failed between 60,000 and 75,000.

Fuel pump died at 82,000. Expensive to repair - gas tank had to be removed to replace the fuel pump.

Alternator failed at 83,500 - easy to replace.

Intake manifold gasket leak at 85,000 - expensive repair.

General Comments:

Great towing vehicle, however once I hit 80,000 miles it has been VERY expensive to maintain.

Extremely comfortable on long trips with small children (compared to minivan).

Review Date: 29th August, 2005

12th Oct 2005, 01:10

WOW I could have signed my name to your experience. A good friend of mine has always driven suburbans. He normally trades them in at 45,000 and has never really had any issues. Our 1st one (1996) was fine up until the time it was stolen (46,000). Our next one (1999) was fine until approximately 55,000 - 60,000 miles. It now has 133,000, but has had the following replaced... steering box, shocks, back pumkin seals, front control arms, alternator, wheel bearings, 4 door actuators, 2 internal door handles, water pump, radiator...