1999 GMC Suburban K2500 SLT 7.4 Liter from North America

No I will not sell it to you!!!

I have had to replace the front disc brakes 3 times since new. That is my ONLY complaint about this wonderful truck is that the pads are too darn small for a 4 plus ton truck. I'm glad that GM increased the front caliper and pad size for 2000 and beyond. Although it only takes a bit over an hour to replace them myself, it's still a pain in the butt (bleeding the lines is always fun.) I had a short in my headlight module due to a backfeed from faulty trailer wiring. A $700 repair.

General Comments:

This truck is phenomenally fun to drive. It has a MAJOR command of the road. The only negative I have is that it only gets 7 MPG the way I drive it. I had to buy a commuter car recently due to high gas prices here in Chicago. I will drive this truck (weekends mostly) until I die. My two large dogs LOVE the back of it with the middle seats folded down and 3rd seat removed. Also, I strongly suggest putting in the Superchip to get the 290 HP Plus 25 HP (315 HP total.) The real benefit is that the chip does away with the 100 MPH transmission kick out (speed controller) and the automatic horsepower reducer (hot thermostat reaction) when the engine is warm. The heavy duty oil cooler takes care of any potential for overheating. I even surprise the FAST & FURIOUS wannabe crowd with this fast truck

Review Date: 4th April, 2005

5th Apr 2005, 10:01

Why would replacing the brake pads necessitate bleeding the brakes? Are you not able to do it without disconnecting the brake hoses?

And no, I don't want your 7 mpg truck. Suspect nobody else would either.

31st Jan 2007, 23:42

I had alot of problems with my truck. Some wear and tear, some is GM's faulty manufacturing. Trans was defective, covered by warranty, but I still had to fight with the dealer to get the work outta them. Fuel pump went 3 times, not sure why. Water pump and a coolant seal went, various other small annoying repairs. I'm not happy with GM's dealers and their lack of quality in the long run. Excellent vehicle for the family and cargo, especially long trips, especially if you need a truck that can tow something and fit all your family.

1999 GMC Suburban SLT 5.7L from North America

Not a better family/towing vehicle out there

Air Conditioning lost it's charge.

Water pump went out at 40,000 miles.

General Comments:

This was the last year of this style of Suburban, and we love it! The GMC model is far superior to the Chevrolet especially in the looks and comfort department.

All the nonsense about front brakes wearing out is just that. We have almost 50,000 on the originals and I tow a 2400 lb race car 250 miles nearly every weekend from May through September. There is not a better vehicle out there for towing!

My wife loved our 1991 Camry, but she LOVES this Suburban. I will never get her to part with it!

Review Date: 7th January, 2004

9th Aug 2005, 22:53

Our 1999 Suburban has 75,000 miles on it. The front brakes have been replaced twice. New rotors were installed on the second pad replacement. The pads aren't the problem. The rotors warp after only a few thousand miles and it is futile to machine them. They just aren't large enough for the vehicle.

Only other issue is the handling. It steers like an old truck with dry king pins (not as bad of course). The alignment has been checked and found to be in spec. The tires aren't wearing unusual so I think it is do to the variable assist power steering added after 1996 models.

It's still a great vehicle and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

24th Jun 2006, 17:46

My 1999 GMC Suburban has had many issues. Brakes, fuel pump, water pump, alternator, CD player... There is a list of things. It's a great vehicle for what it is, but it's not so great in the long lasting parts department.

1999 GMC Suburban SLE 4WD 5.7 liter 285 HP from North America

An excellent value for a large family vehicle

A couple of noises resulting in a dealer check and some money being spent.

General Comments:

Love this truck. The engine is powerful, the legroom in the back seats is excellent, even for a 6 foot 2 inch man.

The cargo space is bigger than any other SUV's.

Review Date: 27th August, 2000