Hillman Hunter Reviews - Page 3 of 4

Year of manufacture1971
First year of ownership1998
Engine and transmission 1.7 petrol (super) Manual
Previous carToyota Hi-lux

Summary:

A classic piece of motoring history

Over the last 5 years I have changed all the front suspension bushes and rubbers, the starter motor, alternator, battery, rear springs (upgrade), rear bushes, shocks, some minor rust (rear quarter) and general service components such as spark plugs, points etc.

General Comments:

The car does 500 miles each week.

It goes really well and has its own temperament.

It turns heads especially from people who remember or owned one.

It is not quick and some say uncomfortable, but it is mine and that's the way I like it.

Review Date: 25th April, 2003

8th Aug 2009, 08:09

I have a 1971 Hillman Hunter HE model. I am in the middle of doing a restoration on it one bit at a time.

I have painted it white with red interior, and have redone the suspension (springs and rear shocks).

I am having trouble chasing down the front strut inserts though, any help would be greatly appreciated (I have been trying for months) as the contacts I seem to have are way too expensive.

1971 Hillman Hunter GT 1.7 OHV from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1971
First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.7 OHV Manual
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres

Summary:

My first restoration

Recently replaced my second head gasket after one year.

Loud tappet noise from the cam followers, there may be a problem with my cam timing.

Twin SU Carburettors have been replaced with a single 45 DCOE Weber.

This was due to massive flat spots under load and fuel leaks from the float chambers.

Front end fell apart 2000 k's after restoration.

This was rectified with a new Pittman Arm.

Rear end still needs new springs and shock absorbers.

General Comments:

After being given this car on my 16th birthday, I decided to restore it ready for my 18th birthday.

What started out as a simple re-spray ended up involving a total "body-off" restoration.

There was minimal rust in the panels, and what was a white car was re-sprayed red in late 1999.

The engine was bored 40 thou and flat top pistons were added. This as a result has increased my compression to 11.5:1. The head was worked, ported and polished.

Extractors were made and fitted to the car with a 2" exhaust system to finish it off.

And finally after sorting out the shocking Lucas electrics setup, I was able to replace the dash with a custom made wood veneer dash complete with white-faced VDO instruments and Sunbeam Alpine light switches.

The car has just clocked over 30000 k's after nearly 2 years on the road.

Review Date: 16th October, 2002

11th Jan 2006, 09:46

I bought a red Hillman Hunter GT in about 1968 (After the London-Sydney marathon). I had the car for many years, pent a lot of money on it after purchase because everything that was on the car broke down at some stage. It was a lot of trouble, but worth the effort to sort out the bugs and problems. My patience resulted in a tight, well presented and comfortable car and I miss it dearly. One day, you will be very proud of your restoration efforts also...

1969 Hillman Hunter Royal leaded fuel from Australia and New Zealand

Year of manufacture1969
First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission leaded fuel Automatic
Previous carHillman Hunter

Summary:

An affordable classic, and original and funky little beast. THE MIGHTY HUNTER

Lots of things have gone wrong with my car.

I have had a new radiator.

I blew the head gasket, as a result of the thermostat becoming stuck.

The seats came un-welded, and had to be re-fixed.

The car was stolen and recovered, and additionally broken into twice.

I have had the dashboard replaced, as it was cracking.

The window winder replaced, as a friend broke it off.

The plastic escutcheons around the interior door handles constantly fall off.

The paint is now starting to peel off and needs to be re-sprayed.

The master cylinder had to be re-conditioned.

I have had new brake drums fitted.

General Comments:

I love this car. Despite all the above which has gone wrong, this is my first car and it has been great. Everyone loves my car because it is original, and a classic.

I have had a CD fitted with rear speakers and plan soon to have the paint work re-done.

I also would like to replace the carpet inside. I have gone back to original style of the car by fitting white wall tyres.

For a first car which only cost $500, and is valued at about $4000 now, I would recommend it to anyone who needs a cheap car, or is interesting in restoring a car.

Review Date: 30th September, 2002

10th Aug 2006, 22:52

My grandmother had a 1969 Hillman Hunter, I drove it a few times between Melbourne and Bacchus Marsh about 1992, it was OK. The best part was the sticker on the rear window that said "The Mighty Hunter: Your Passport to Adventure". You see a lot on TV in Iran, they either do still make them or did until recently.