2004 Holden Astra Classic 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great car

I had to get major repairs done in 2009 when the water pump failed. I found out today that the head gasket needs replacing or I may need a replacement engine.

I really love my Astra, but I am not sure whether to get it repaired or not.

General Comments:

It drives well and handles all weather conditions.

Have travelled from Sydney to Gold Coast a couple of times and it was very good on petrol as well.

Review Date: 9th January, 2016

2004 Holden Astra from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Car dealers! Still dishonest and unfair

Inside light falls out of ceiling.

Front drivers seats fabric unraveling.

Back seat seams pulled apart.

Head lights frosting over from the inside.

General Comments:

I purchased this car new and paid cash.

Got all extras; car care kit, electric sun roof, back windows, steel rims, rust proofing, extra air bags etc etc.

Had it serviced at the right time at the dealership I purchased it from.

Fabric in seats is faulty and has unraveled. Holden won't look at it, stating it's out of warranty.

Now they tell me I have to have a $1,000 service for a timing problem that they say WILL happen.

Review Date: 6th September, 2010

14th May 2011, 09:53

Car dealers are unfair most of the time, it's rare to find one that is not. Don't take it personally. It happens to everyone. Try and take it as a life lesson and look forward.

Timing belt issue? Was this a manufacturing issue or the 5yr/100,000km timing belt change? If it is the latter, then you need to have this done to prevent the timing belt from coming off or breaking. This would cause massive damage to your engine. Try a local mechanic for major servicing. Timing belts can vary from 300 to 1000, depending on where you go.

2004 Holden Astra CDX 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Worth the extra money for the top of the range model

Rattle in left front window.

Alloy wheels get very dirty from brake dust.

General Comments:

Awesome car. Looks like a BMW 3 series, just much cheaper.

Heated leather seats aren't really required, but very nice to have.

Trip Computer useful for learning how to drive economically.

Very economical car, 8.2L/100km (28mpg (US) or 34.4mpg (UK).

Can be underpowered when towing, but it's only a 1.8 4 cyl.

Good suspension for cornering, feels secure.

Review Date: 31st August, 2005

5th Jan 2017, 03:55

I bought a secondhand 2004 Holden Astra manual 1.8 sedan at 100,000km. Nothing but trouble; clutch replaced; master brake cylinder, clutch cylinder replaced. Then slave cylinder needed replacing, which for some strange reason is housed in the gear box; all these repairs were very expensive.

Front rear vision mirror broke off - new windscreen required. Right hand rear vision mirror fell out.

Brakes needed replacing.

I had also bought a brand new Holden Astra Hatch in 1998 which had one problem after another from the outset - I will never ever buy one of these cars again. All the mechanics I have dealt with over the years have told me that these cars are just a money pit. Do yourself a favour and just don't even look at it!

25th Dec 2017, 11:25

Mate, that sounds a bit off to me. I sell quite a few of these little Astras. They are a great little car if serviced on time, and I mean on time! If you go over they will bite you badly . The only trouble I've had with them is from lack of maintenance from previous owners! Mechanics love them as people don't educate themselves before purchasing the vehicle of choice. Sure lemons exist, but more than one from the same owner says more about the owner than the car!

16th Jan 2018, 05:20

I have a 2004 Astra; it has never given me any trouble, always serviced, timing belt replaced when it was due. Can’t tell you the mileage as it is in the garage trying to be fixed. Several weeks ago it held me up in Port Macquarie and I took it to a garage I didn’t know but was referred to by my son; 4 days and 650 later, I went to pick it up; it wouldn’t start. The owner came out and said you need to press down hard on the accelerator and turn the engine over at the same time. I asked how come? He said he only did what he had to do to get me home. Unbelievable, now my mechanic can’t find what is wrong with it because it starts for him, but not for me. Do you have any ideas, as I am at my wit's end and don’t know what to do?