2004 Holden Astra CD Classic 1.8 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Outstandingly good value for the money,

None.

General Comments:

I originally ordered the Astra Classic sedan, with the option pack (traction control, power windows, ABS) but the dealer couldn't source one and so offered me the CD Classic sedan for an extra $500. Although I was told it would be available within a few days, the days stretched into weeks due to a delay at the Holden end. In the meantime they offered me one of the new model hatchbacks to drive.

It was interesting to compare the "New Astra" with the Astra CD Classic when mine arrived a week later. Although the "New Astra" had a few extra features missing from the CD Classic (MP3 player, seatbelt warning alarm etc), I much preferred the look, feel and interior of the CD Classic. The new model is just a bit too funky looking, and the interior doesn't have the refined, classy feel about it that the older model has. It's slightly futuristic look seems a little "cheap".

I've had my car for a week now, and am loving every aspect of it. Not being a "car" person, I'd never understood the term "a drivers car", but I do now. The Astra is a joy to drive and has a lot more power than I imagined it would, especially as I was coming from a V6 Falcon.

The first few days I owned the car, it rained constantly and I was surprised by how well it handled in the wet. Having the wipers on most of the time stopped me from looking like a complete idiot when I hit the wipers instead of indicators too. I'm getting used to the left hand indicator switch now, but old habits die hard.

The Blaupunkt sound system is awesome, and I have definitely noticed the speed-variable volume, particularly as I have to accelerate quickly after backing out of my driveway. The steering wheel sound controls are very easy to use without taking your eyes off the road.

The cruise control is wonderful. I hardly used that feature in the Falcon because I had to press a sequence of buttons on the steering wheel, which I could never get used to. But in the Astra, it's one click on the end of the indicator stalk.

Storage space is excellent; the boot is HUGE for such a compact car.

I am thrilled with this car. It has class, style and understated elegance. And it has a LOT of features for the money.

I will try and update this review after a month or so, as I am driving from SE Victoria to Canberra soon and so should have a more comprehensive outlook on the handling, fuel consumption, comfort level etc.

Review Date: 19th November, 2004

2004 Holden Astra CD 1.8 litre petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A terrific value for money motor car

Nil.

General Comments:

Performance is superb for a 1.8L 92 kw car.

The car's finish is flawless and an absolute pleasure to drive. It handles as if on rails.

Some people may not like the dark interior, however I prefer it this way, especially when it comes to maintaining a clean look.

My only gripe is with the cruise control. There is no indication on the dash display to tell you when it is either on or active. It works a treat though, so this is a minor bug in an otherwise fantastic little motor car.

Review Date: 17th June, 2004

15th Dec 2004, 02:28

I'm wanting to buy a holden astra classic, but not sure if its worth the price it costs to fix it at times. I heard from friends it can be quite expensive. Is this true?

13th Mar 2006, 21:41

What a shame Holden went to Daewoo for their Astra Classic replacement, the Viva. I have driven a couple of examples of the older Astra prior to the AH series, and van tell you they are better than any Korean and most Japanese. It's like driving a Mercedes or BMW, but for half the price. If sourcing from Korea is the best they can do to compete with the Corolla and Tiida, then I will be taking my business elsewhere.