1995 Holden Barina SB 1.4 from Australia and New Zealand

Revs high on start up. Any help with the fault would be good.

General Comments:

Not a bad car, very slow & takes a while to get to speed, but when there it's OK.

Review Date: 9th April, 2007

15th Apr 2007, 23:34

Coolant temperature sensor worked for me. The one that talks to the electronic control unit.

24th Sep 2012, 22:20

Just wondering if anyone can help me? I have an auto 1995 Barina, and recently I have been having a few issues with it.

The two main ones are that whilst driving, the 'S' button on the dash will start to flash. Whilst flashing, the car has hardly any acceleration, which leads me to having to turn it off and restart the car. On occasions this will continue to happen within a short amount of time. Each day I warm my car up for at least 5 minutes (when hot and cold outside) as I have had other issues with the car stalling when I am driving and stop (i.e. at a red light, stop sign).

The other issue is when I have the lights on at night, both the dash and the head lights will become quite bright, and then fade back to normal. This will continue to happen throughout the time I am driving. Whilst the lights become brighter, the car loses acceleration until they fade back to normal. This is quite annoying, as cars in front of me think that I am flashing them.

Hope someone can help me with my problem.

27th Feb 2013, 01:52

I have had the same problem with the flashing Sport light.

I found that the difference between D and 3rd is small, and it only flashed while I was in 3rd.

18th Nov 2014, 00:24

We have been having the same problem with our car for quite some time with the 'S' light flashing and starting off in third gear.

We also have problems with the fuel gauge giving an incorrect reading, speedometer reading about 5-10km over the actual speed and the outside temperature gauge not working.

We took it to a Holden dealer who could not find any faults.

6th Aug 2015, 13:01

The flashing "S" lamp on dash seems to be a common fault. When coming to a stop, the transmission stays in 3rd or 4th gear. To quickly overcome a slow acceleration, just shift down to gear number 1, and as you accelerate, shift up to 2, 3 and then D.

Before you start your car at any time, try and move the gear lever from P down to 1, and then back to P a few times.

I found when I did this, the transmission worked normal again for some time until the "Limp mode" or flashing "S" happened again.

On another forum, I took some advice and removed the inhibitor or neutral safety switch mounted on the transmission. I cleaned out the dirty old grease and cleaned the copper contacts with sand paper and brake clean. I lubricated the contacts with dielectric grease, or you can use bulb grease.

Re-installed this switch and the transmission has been working without fault for several weeks. This is a known issue on different cars with automatic transmissions, but is often overlooked by many mechanics. If you are mechanically inclined, give it a go. Good luck!

1995 Holden Barina SB 1.2 from Australia and New Zealand

Very unhappy with reliability

Rear CV joint broke and wheel seized at 150,000km.

Radiator obtained a hole and started overheating at 160,000km.

Black bumper bars have major discolorations and are almost gray.

Petrol and temperature gage on dash malfunctioning ever since I bought the car.

General Comments:

This car has not much get up and go and from my own personal experience has been nothing but problems. The inside of the car is very tidy and comfortable but under the bonnet has been nothing but trouble for me.

Review Date: 7th September, 2004