1999 Holden Commodore VT 3.8 V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car

General Comments:

I bought a 99 VT series 11 Exec just 4 months ago, it is 10 years old and drives as a new car, looks wonderful with mags, lowered at the front, rear spoiler and dark green metallic duco.

Has plenty of grunt for a standard V6, especially at highway speed. I bought it cheaply in Sydney and drove it home to the Sunny Coast, QLD. The drive home was a good test drive and she performed brilliantly. Comfortable, smooth trip with a squirt or two to test her long legs. Everything worked well inside and out, 4 months later still going brilliantly.

Most cars I have owned have only been 3 or 4 years old, this car matches them all in comfort and handling, I couldn't be happier, but reading this thread has scared me some.

She is no performance car, but for a six cylinder stacks up well against the two 308 V8's and one 253 V8 I have owned in the past.

Review Date: 17th May, 2009

1999 Holden Commodore VTII from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A dream ride come true

The Back pocket of driver side seat torn.

Windshield washer spray clogged. Methylated Spirits with cotton buds cleared passage.

General Comments:

Two weeks ago I purchased the Holden Commodore VT-II from a dealership in the Sunshine Coast. I had broken my own rules of “Do not buy a car site unseen or before test driving.” Having said that, I bought this car against my basic rules, and in short, this vehicle has exceeded my expectations. Being a used car, there are some minor details that need repair and improvement, but that is to be expected.

This Executive model spoils the driver, and with the after-market CRUISE control installed by the previous owner, all I have to do is set the speed, and steer. This saves on fuel consumption as well in the powerful V6 engine.

It hugs the roads with accuracy, and is quick to respond in passing and maneuvering on the roads.

I love the plush bucket seats, with the driver side fully adjustable for accurate comfort. This car is designed with the tall and large in mind, for even with the seats adjusted all the way back there is still plenty of leg room for our back seat passengers.

The only minor thing that should be different, is the back seats do not fold down for large items, which is common in other makes and models. Also, I am not sure if it is just a fault with my particular car, but the ignition key does not fit the boot. However the key does have the remote lock so there is no big worry (unless the battery dies!).

Review Date: 4th April, 2007

1999 Holden Commodore VT Executive 3.8 EFI from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great looking reliable car, but needs to be owned from new and maintained properly to do it justice

Nothing major has gone wrong with the car since I've had it, but I did have a costly experience with the idle of the vehicle.

For the past 6 months, the car has had a rough start and erratic idle. After changing numerous sensors, coil pack, leads, spark plugs etc, and taking it to Holden dealerships and other car repair places, only to be told it's running fine, when I know it's definitely not. When I got it, the idle was dead smooth, you couldn't tell the difference when it was on or off, that's how smooth the car was, and it got so bad, it was revving by itself and back firing etc.

All the heartache and headache was caused by a simple "purge" hose located under the throttle body, which no one seemed to pick up. I changed the $10 "purge" hose, and the car runs like it was new again, so apart from poor dealerships and mechanics, I'm very happy with the car, as it's never failed me.

General Comments:

The car itself is fantastic when it comes to looks and quality. I think though that you do need to own one of these cars from new to really appreciate it.

Having broken speaker grilles, broken map pockets and some other small bits and pieces, I went through the car with a fine tooth comb when I purchased it, and fixed everything that needed fixing, and due to me looking after the car, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with plastics breaking etc, although my foot rest has snapped off a couple times; I guess it's me being used to driving a manual, and I put pressure on it every time I brake.

Review Date: 14th November, 2005