1999 Holden Commodore Executive 3.8L Ecotec V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A comfortable and fuel economical car

Rear brake lights stopped working. The dealer said it had a broken cable, so we got that repaired for $180.

Sometimes when turning lock to lock, the steering wheel makes this whining sound, usually in the morning.

Wheels keep making a squeaking noise, found out that it was just the hub cap being loose.

A lot of water keeps dripping when opening the boot during or after a rainy day.

Some of the rubber seals between the exterior panel joints have cracks in them.

When I was parked up my driveway on a rainy day, the driveway being steep, for some reason water got through the door sill. It was probably from the wind shield installed on that side, but it's just unacceptable how water can get in so easily. There was lots getting in. Don't seem to have that problem anymore, even though nothings been done.

Build quality is alright, some of the plastics joints are separating. My first car was a Mitsubishi Sigma and the plastics in that looked more up to the job than in the commodore. The main family car, a 2000 Camry, overall feels more reliable and solidly built, but this is just a minor issue, it's not like the commodore feels like its going to fall apart.

General Comments:

Overall it's a very good and reliable car, currently having no mechanical problems other than the rear brake lights.

Though there seems to be a lot of problems with the car (with all the list that I wrote), they're actually only minor problems, nothing serious. I can live with them and I would still recommend this car to a buyer.

Engine is very responsive, but sounds rough when going past 3000rpm and is let down by an automatic transmission that doesn't know which gear to choose. It sometimes makes a huge 'clunk' noise when downshifting.

Good fuel economy. I average about 11.9L/100km, that's a mix of highway and city, but more of highway.

Seats are comfortable, and the interior is huge, since I've only been in small-medium sized cars. Being a P-plater, this is an awesome car to have and has more than enough power.

Review Date: 8th January, 2005

1999 Holden Commodore VT 3.8L V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A very good for money car

When It rains and you open the boot lots of water pours into the boot.

It scratches and chips very easy.

General Comments:

Really good car to drive.

Really comfortable car to sit in.

Review Date: 29th April, 2004

1999 Holden Commodore VT 3.8litre V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great motor vehicle to drive

Nothing yet, but only time will tell.

General Comments:

Top vehicle to drive.

A bit slow off the line, but it does move pretty quick when one pushes the right foot into the firewall.

Being my first wagon, I was extremely surprised at how well the car actually handled on tight corners.

Wish it had a CD player, but what can I expect from a Telstra owned car.

No squeaks or rattles although there is a slight whine from the transmission upon moving, but dies down to nothing very quickly.

I cannot fault the cabin, it is roomy, the seats are somewhat comfortable (no numb bums here even after a 4 hour stint behind the wheel).

Review Date: 17th February, 2003

1999 Holden Commodore Executive 3.8 V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Car is let down by dated Buick V6 and 5 speed that whines like an old worn out Holden!

The manual gearbox was replaced by Holden, even though the warranty had expired by a month. The car had only been in my possession for a few weeks.

One CV boot was also replaced.

General Comments:

Although I had no problems with the quality of service received from the dealer where the car was purchased, I am less than happy with the car.

My last car was a VN Commodore which I enjoyed driving even though it had over 200k on the clock with the obligatory squeaks and rattles. The car was very quick and handled reasonably well. my only complaint was the auto gear box that let the car down, so I decided to buy a 5 speed.

I searched for a while and found a VT.

This car has not lived up to my expectations. The gearbox was notchy, whining in all gears, but worst in first. Noisy back lash that seemed to be coming from the diff, an annoying click when 5th gear is disengaged, there was also an oil leak.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced gear box under warranty with the assurance the problems would be rectified and that the diff back lash was a trans fault... not! The oil leak was gone and the other problems remained.

I now understand that this is normal for Getrag boxes in commodores!

The car it self is heavier than previous commodores and is not as Quick as previous (VN-VS).

A few more rattles than I would expect from a 1999 car with low KMs including the drivers side door frame that seems rather flimsy.

If you could live with the 5 speed this would be a great family car for long trips, other wise buy an auto. If you want a V6 commodore that has some grunt, go for the previous models or get the 5.7 Gen 3. Though I heard even the six speed manual is crap too!

I have come to the conclusion that because Holden assemble so few Commodores with manual boxes, the engineering and development is minimal.

Review Date: 29th December, 2002

20th Jan 2003, 13:53

I also have a VT S and I'm disappointed with the notchy 5 speed. It's a bit clunky, but I have learned to live with it.

1999 Holden Commodore Berlina series II 3.8 Ecotech V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A brilliant package with ALL the luxuries!!!

The dealer lent me a 1998 VT S pac for the weekend while my finance was being approved... Problem is that I think I have fallen in love with the handling of the S pac, more than I like to have all the luxuries of a Berlina.

I have noticed however... the S pac's Airbag warning light came on time to time, and there was a rumble in the boot somewhere when slowing from 70km/h.

The S pac has 61,300km on it.

General Comments:

I bought this vehicle from a Holden dealer. I would give them 11/10 for customer service. They gave me a high value for my trade in, and gave me the extras I wanted for no charge (window tint, boot spoiler and a free service).

Economy in these things are fantastic for a 3.8 litre. My old VN was the old Buick 3.8 V6 and guzzled $30 fuel in around 180 - 200 km. I put $25 in the VT with the Ecotech V6 and have done 260km and the gauge isn't even in the red yet.

Review Date: 19th May, 2002

6th Oct 2002, 06:19

Either you are a lead foot or your fuel gauge dosen't work properly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it'a the latter as it is a Commodore.

I can tell you that with average driving and with average driving conditions I can only manage to get 450Km out of my VT before it hits the RED. (city driving)

Do yourself a favour and check your tail lights and brake lights chances are one will be blown and need replacing.

I won't go into any further details as to what I think of Commodores,

Especialy the VT model.