2008 Honda CR-V LX 2.4L gas from North America

Summary:

Not what we expected from Honda

Side airbags failed to deploy in a side impact accident.

General Comments:

This is my son's car. He purchased this to learn to drive with. The car, while advertised as a 4WD, is actually FWD with AWD capabilities. Per the dealer is approx. 85% FWD.

The car is very noisy and underpowered. We live in a very hilly area, and if going 65 with the cruise control on, the car will downshift to 3rd while going up hills. Engine seems peppy and rev's freely, but bogs down easily when the hills appear.

Car is rated 20 city/ 26 highway. On the most recent trip, we averaged less than 22 mpg. As a comparison, my wife's Magnum R/T AWD with the Hemi gets better mileage.

Car is fairly roomy for it's size, seats are OK for short trips, would not want to go cross country in it. Seats fold easily and there is ample room in the back. Visibility is par for cars made with the thick pillars.

Headlights are not very bright by today's standard. For the price of the car, foglights should be standard ($500 option).

My son discovered the hard way ($$) that he really does not like this car. As soon as we get the collision damage fixed, he will be trading it for a RWD car, possibly like his mother's or maybe a Charger.

Gas mileage is not everything. Being comfortable behind the wheel is.

Review Date: 26th January, 2010

3rd Mar 2010, 15:45

Depending on the speed of the side impact, the airbags may not deploy. If it's just a small accident (which it must have been because a car that has been T-boned usually can't be easily repaired) the airbags might not need to deploy. Sensors in the door panels activate the side impact airbags in the event of a crash. If the crash was to small for the sensors to pick up, the air bags won't deploy.

May I also add that your son is very lucky to get an almost brand-new vehicle as his first car? My son is about to get his license, and he has a '95 Neon that's patiently awaiting the day he can drive it by himself.

17th Jul 2011, 21:30

We have one of these, and it takes quite a while to start getting good mileage. After one year, the average was 19 mpg (by comparison, my 5.7L Chrysler 300C avg. is 18). Give it time; at 3 years, the average is over 24 mpg.

18th Jul 2011, 11:15

Our family has 3 Hondas.

A 1989 Honda Civic hatchback.... which is a lot of fun to drive, but not to be trusted on long drives...

A 97 Honda Civic DX that is a good around the town car, and is the most solid of all the cars we have, with the best fit and finish on it.

And a Honda CR-V LX model that we paid $19,999 for (before tax and license) when the local Honda dealer had his blow out sale once a year in Oct-Nov. We bought it because it has good resale value and is one of the cheapest SUVs you can buy, and has great reliability if you do not abuse cars. It has a lot of standard equipment for the price. But if you are looking for a car that has a lot of power... a hill climber... a car to wow the neighbors... a fun to drive vehicle... you are looking at the wrong car. It is a very basic SUV at a good fair price... especially if you get it on sale. We have had the car for almost three years... and we are always trying to find some problems with it... so we can take advantage of a warranty that is coming to a end soon... but can't find anything...

2008 Honda CR-V LX-1 Navi 166 hp from North America

Summary:

Another great Honda

Nothing has gone wrong with the car and I don't expect anything to go wrong with it. I have owned three Honda's before that were excellent cars, but stupidly purchased a Mercedes (what a dog). I traded it for my CR-V.

General Comments:

I looked at a Toyota RAV-4 6 cyl. but Toyota has become arrogant and has refused to change the hinged side of the rear door and has a cheesy looking radio antenna among other things. Honda does not make a CR-V 6 cyl. but after test driving the CR-V 4 cyl. I was sold on it.

Plenty of power unless you plan on towing a mid or large camper.

As with all Honda's the seating is more than ample and comfortable. I elected to get the power drivers side seat which is heated. I am 6'3" and weigh 280 and have plenty of leg/hip/shoulder room.

If you intend to do minor engine repairs, etc. yourself after the warranty expires you will love the roominess of the engine compartment.

Review Date: 24th December, 2007