1993 Honda del Sol Sir 1.6 VTEC b16a from Australia and New Zealand
Might upgrade to an S2000 if it's as good
The ignition pack gave up the ghost one day.. just stopped. Not too expensive to repair
Roof has the typical CRX del sol rattle…there are a couple of ways of repairing this, but I haven’t had time to do them.
I knocked the steering out of line on a kerb and stuff a tyre.
Also bent the front bumper on a ledge in a car park. Required repainting the bumper.
As a small sports car it is
· has good room: a nice big boot (compared with something like an MR2).
· handles like a dream especially on seal. (I have used it in competition in a grass Autocross.. easily won the production class and finished amongst the 4wd rally cars),
· motor is a real joy (especially compared with my B4 Subaru or Mitzi VR4) reminds me of a motor bike the way bit revs. There is no low down torque, but that doesn’t matter around town, but on the open road once above 5,500 rpm it just flies.
· Brakes are brilliant (no ABS, but in a car this light they are not necessary)
· Someone thought it was a small Porsche.
· the scuttle shake with the roof off
· the rattly roof
· my wife doesn’t like it
· my kids love it (and keep using it)
· cops seem attracted to it (don’t wear your cap backwards)
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 23rd March, 2006
13th Jul 2006, 12:54
In the past two years I bought a 1993 and a 1994 Del Sol, and I also believe that cops pay special attention to me in my Del Sols. I've not gotten any tickets yet, but I always slow down when I know the police are near. I never get tired of driving the car, though.
I do wonder how most people get the roof on and off by themselves. I am 6 foot 2 and fairly strong, and it is a bit of a pain for me to do it by myself. Once you take that roof off, though, you can't help getting ohs and ahs from people.
26th Jan 2008, 09:13
Mine is a electric targa top called transtop.
It attracts lots of people when transform. :)
20th Apr 2011, 03:04
One additional multiple comment to your original comments:
1. I do not particularly find that the police watch me that much unless I am speeding.
2. Many people do not consider/realize that even the del Sol S version can be quite good with regard to acceleration. The Si automatic is not as good on acceleration but better at top speed.
3. Concerning roof lift-off and the later return to the roof frame, always remember which end is front and which end is back.
4. Keep your removable top rubber lining lubricated (actual top as well as the frame of the car where it fits) with silicon (available at your Honda dealer at a reasonable cost). This will help reduce the squeaks.
Svelte and SvelteSi*
*Svelte = 1993 del Sol S 1.5 five speed with added performance.
*SvelteSi = 1995 del Sol Si 1.6 automatic with four wheel disk brakes.