2005 Honda Element EX 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Best all round vehicle for everyday practical use and for single person or a couple and a dog or two

Rear brake caliper seized, requiring new caliper and pads.

General Comments:

It's a love hate relationship when it comes to whether you like the looks of the Element, or "Elephant" as I affectionately call it. It has a window sticker on the back that says "you've just been passed by a toaster", which pretty well explains the looks. In any case I've always liked the looks and the fact it was a Honda; I knew it would be well engineered. Voted dog vehicle of the year, tells you about the robust and practical interior of the "elephant".

It's a large vehicle and people are amazed when I tell them it only has a 2.4L, 4 cylinder engine. Has lots of power and and great fuel economy at about 27-29 miles to an imperial gallon.

I've just come back from a 4 week trip, 8900km, Vancouver BC to Baja Mexico. I removed the rear seats and had a 4" foam mattress made up and camped out of the back. Worked out great as I could park the Element anywhere without attracting attention that it was a camping vehicle. It ran like a trooper with no problems at all.

I'm disappointed though that they've discontinued the Element as I would consider buying another with low miles. Also, as I have the standard FWD, I would consider the automatic as it gets about the same MPG as the standard and they are proven to be reliable.

I do all my own work on my vehicles and it will need new rotors and pads soon. Parts are very reasonable and can be bought online at eBay or Amazon at discount prices.

Review Date: 13th March, 2016

2005 Honda Element LX from North America

Summary:

I still love my Element. I just wish they would fix the key

I have had to replace the driver's side door locks 3 times, and passenger's also, plus the ignition twice. Now I won't take the key out, because I'm afraid it won't go back in, and cost me another $500. I have to crawl in the back. Looking at the complaints on this site, this seems to be a common problem; a recall should in order, this is ridiculous.

General Comments:

I love my Element, but I don't know if I would buy another.

Also, the dealerships show no compassion; they are terrible.

Review Date: 12th December, 2010

2005 Honda Element from North America

Summary:

Pretty good car so far

Been having problems getting the key to open the driver's door when locked. Has been acting up now and then since the first year. Have been very gentle, not forcing the key, but now it will not open the locked door at all.

Driver's seat material started cracking after the first year. Now after five years it's cracked badly.

General Comments:

Good car other than this, and the odometer light being intermittent.

Review Date: 21st April, 2010

22nd Apr 2010, 09:42

I had a problem with the drivers side door lock on my 2003 Element. It would work with the key anymore at around 80K miles. Got it fixed then and has been fine since.

Had a couple other problems around 80-84K miles (a bad engine mount and the passengers side power window motor). But other than that, nothing other than routine maintenance, and I now have almost 112K miles on my Element. With the original brake pads still.

All in all, I love my Element and plan to keep it for at least 300K miles.

Mine has a 5 spd. manual and is loads of fun to drive.

Very handy as well, one of the most useful vehicles around.

I am planning on buying my dream car (one of the new Chevy Camaros) in a couple of years, but will keep my Element as a spare rather than trade it, I love it that much, and plan on keeping it forever.

2005 Honda Element LX from North America

Summary:

Fun car, but not good for families with young children

The only problem is the upholstery on the drivers seat has started to crack on the left side. According to the dealer, using the wrong cleaner caused it.

General Comments:

This is a GREAT car for an adventurous person or couple. I love how you can open the doors wide, reconfigure the seats to meet your needs (they can even make a bed!), and the fact it has a tail gate.

On the other hand, DO NOT buy this car if you have young children! It is nearly impossible to comfortably put a rear facing child into his or her car seat. I have had to lift my baby and toddler up and over the back of their car seats. It is very tricky. Also, keep in mind there are only 2 seats in the back, so if your kids are back there, no one else can ride in the back. Before we had the kids, we both thought the back seat was pretty uncomfortable to ride in.

Beware the upper center door latch! I have banged my head on this more times than I care to count. There is a square metal piece sticking out that the doors latch on to.

This has been a very reliable car, it handles well and has an incredible turning radius. It can be loud on the highway. We have not had the windshield problems others have talked about.

We are looking for a mini van now since the Element no longer meets our needs, but I will miss it. Lots of fun to drive!

Review Date: 15th February, 2010