2005 Honda Element EX 2.4L from North America

Summary:

A lemon from an overrated company, very over priced as well

Battery died within 2 weeks.

Engine valve cover leaked.

It has starting problems, sounds like the starter, but the dealer can't verify it so he won't replace any parts. Still unresolved 3 years later.

The clutch freezes up at -20c,cold yes, but this is Canada so I leave it at home at that temperature and drive the wife's Corolla. Again the dealer can't find the problem, so he won't replace anything.

Rear brakes, new pads rotors calipers X2 in an effort to get rid of rattling and grinding sounds... noise is still there.

Rear knuckles seized up making a loud creak in the suspension. The dealer replaced the knuckles and in the process found the rear bearings were worn out, so he replaced those too... as well as the rear ABS sensors.

A pillar rattle.. I fixed it myself.

Rear doors rattle... I fixed it myself.

Rear hatch made a clunking sound... I fixed it myself.

Dashboard rattle... on the to do list.

The dealer replaced the large rear panel on the side of the cargo area in attempt to get rid of a popping sound... the noise has returned.

General Comments:

All this with 26000 km, coupled with the poor service and response from Honda Canada; it usually takes 3 visits to the dealer to get one thing repaired... if the repair even works is another question.

What a major disappointment, this was my first Honda and my last. It's now for sale as the warranty is coming to an end. I think I'll replace it with a Ford.

Review Date: 8th February, 2008

2005 Honda Element EX from North America

Summary:

I cannot publish my opinion of this car

Front end collision, estimated speed less than 15 mph. The whole front end buckled, transmission cracked, engine mounts broken. Air bags did not deploy.

Damage estimate over $10,000! Insurance would not total a new Element with only 7500 miles. Still in the repair shop, 40 days and counting...

Review Date: 8th July, 2006

2005 Honda Element EX 4WD 2.4L from North America

Summary:

I love my fun, practical, economical hauler!

Nothing.

General Comments:

Honda has perfected the economical SUV. My first tankful averaged 29 mpg.

Seating is firm, spacious and comfortable. Cargo handling ability is amazing. The factory roof racks are strong and convenient.

The real-time 4WD works exceptionally well in Florida's "ball-bearing" sand.

The Element handles beautifully, and acceleration is brisk enough for all, but the sports car set.

Fit and finish are typical of Honda's high quality.

The sound system is top quality, and allows playing GPS or MP3s through an auxiliary input. The XM radio works perfectly.

According to Consumer Reports, don't buy this vehicle without side air bags, which mine has.

Review Date: 31st May, 2006

3rd Jun 2006, 14:07

My 05 Element is also great car. MPG is only about 25 but still OK yet a small tank. I didn't like the looks at first, but has now "grown on me" No problems at all with mine, nata one!

2005 Honda Element LX from North America

Summary:

Skeptical now that this happened after reading the 2003-04 windshield design flaw was addressed

Cracked windshield, no apparent reason. 20,000 miles.

General Comments:

Location: directly in front of the driver starting at about three inches from windshield wiper and stops at about on inch from top of window. Only noticed it because it started raining and the water collected along the invisable hairline crack. I got the car new in July 2005 and it has about 20,000 miles. I will head off to the dealership to see if they do me right. Since the dealership is sensitive to how I report my service satisfaction when Honda does their follow up survey, if they don't make it right (i.e. replace at no cost), I will politely decline having them replace it and let them know I plan to go directly to Honda. This is the third Honda in my family and 10th Honda among my extended family. So the count is 13 Honda cars, I would say it is in their best interest to make this right. Concerns I have with my plan are if I have a third party replace the windshield will it in anyway effect my warranty and second; from doing internet searches, it seeems like this design flaw was not effectively addressed and perhaps the 2005, like the 2003 and 2004 models should be addressed through a revision of the warranty to cover this issue. What do you folks think?

Review Date: 13th April, 2006

14th Apr 2006, 21:24

I test drove an Element and liked the vehicle, but after noticing so many reports of cracked windshields, I didn't buy one. I think this has to be a design problem. Maybe because it lacks a center pillar the body flexes too much causing cracks. Who know for sure, but Honda should come up with a repair for the problem.