2008 Honda Fit Reviews - Page 2 of 2

2008 Honda Fit Base 1.5 from North America

Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Cheap quality expensive car

Interior of the car is cheap.

Clutch seems to be on the way out.

Gas mileage is poor compared to most cars its size.

Check engine light came on at 3000 miles.

Over priced as most Hondas are.

Should have bought the Focus.

General Comments:

Cabin is loud.

Engine burns gas too quick because it is a high rpm engine.

No torque.

Just a mediocre car at best.

Review Date: 28th December, 2008

25th Apr 2009, 20:44

Are you kidding? Honda Fit has the best performance in its class and has the best fuel economy. But I agree with the interior, it felt cheap and bad quality.

2008 Honda Fit Sport 1.5 Gas from North America

Engine and transmission 1.5 Gas Automatic
Previous carHonda Drove my mothers Nissan Murano

Summary:

Overly happy!

My only issue is that the plastic interior scratches very easily. I understand it's plastic, but I thought it might have been a bit more durable.

General Comments:

The Honda Fit was maybe one of the last cars I wanted to own when I started car shopping.

I really wanted a Mini Cooper, but the space issue was just too much for a first car. So I drove just about every brand new car I could that was small, yet fast and under $25,000. I test drove the Hyundai Accent, Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla, Chevy Malibu, Suzuki SX4, Mitsubishi Lancer, Mazda 3 and Ford Focus, and all of them pretty well made me feel like I was buying a mini van. No fun whatsoever. My dream car was the Mini Cooper (and possible the type S version)

After about 4 weeks of driving cars and getting very tired of doing so, I decided I should take one last look over at Honda. I was very turned off by the Civic, just because almost everyone and their grandma has a Civic, but I thought why not try one out just to say I did.

I walk into Honda and start talking to a sales person. He said for my budget I should try out the Honda Fit. I looked at some pictures and told him I’m really not interested in such a large car. From the pictures it looks like a small mini van. Then he says “let me take you for a test drive” so I said why not, what do I have to lose. So he shows me the “magic” seats and how much stuff you can pack into this thing, and I pretty much just nodded and smiled during the whole sales pitch. Then he says put on your seat belt and hold on.

After the test drive I got out of the car and I had the biggest grin on my face, and I told him to wrap it up, I want it tomorrow.

The Honda Fit with Sports package blew my mind. Great on gas, drives like a race car, tons of room, and best of all, in person it looks pretty darn sporty.

I would not even consider a Mini Cooper after driving this car. For the price it’s best in its class.

I also read tons of amazing reviews from some pretty reliable publications.

You must drive it to believe it!

Review Date: 5th July, 2008

19th Dec 2009, 07:55

I owned a 2009 Honda Fit for 13 months. It is a very good "small" car. Cargo capacity is amazing.

I don't want to repeat all the goodies and just want to say what I found not perfect:

- I had 3 occasions of car couldn't start in the morning. You know when you're late for work and car could not start. It was the battery. If you leave the FIT alarm armed over 3 day, the battery is pretty much discharged to a level that it does not have enough juice to start the engine. I have to jump start it. It OK for an old car but for a brand new Honda?

I took the car to dealer and they advised me to lock the car with the key (not with the remote). When I went for a vacation of 7 days and back, the car did not start, I had to jump start it again. BTW, the car is OK, when I drive every day. I suspect Honda engineers had to use a small battery to shave "weight" in order to get the best fuel economy.

17th Jan 2011, 19:24

The Yaris may not be as sporty as the Fit, but it's actually faster by a few seconds.

2008 Honda Fit Sport 1.5 VTec L15A from North America

Engine and transmission 1.5 VTec L15A Manual

Summary:

Most economical non-hybrid car for sale in USA the past 4 years. Uber good work Honda

So far the only thing I have had to change is the tyres. I must say the tyres that the manufacturer puts on cars these days are terrible. I am just waiting my new tyres to be installed today. Factory tyres are Dunlop SP31 A/S in the size of 195/55-HR15. The tires that are being fitted right now are Yokohama S. drive in the size of 195/50VR15.

General Comments:

Quick little car.

Have had my 2008 Honda Fit since January 11th, 2008 and so far have put a cold air intake from HPS in California, a APEXi N1 axle back exhaust.

With exhaust and intake have gone from 30mpg in the city to 35mpg in the city ---- and 36mpg highway to 42mpg highway.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2008

9th Jun 2008, 10:29

Congrats on being a very wise and savvy car buyer. The mad rush to hybrids is not very smart. The repairs can cost fully HALF the purchase price of the cars, and the environmental damage of all the discarded (and VERY TOXIC) batteries is a threat to the environment second only to nuclear waste. Many small cars, such as the Fit, Focus, Corolla, etc. get almost as good mileage as a hybrid (and much BETTER than larger hybrids). Hybrid batteries never last as long as claimed and cost THOUSANDS to replace.

I always switch all my cars full to synthetic oil, which offers less friction and increases mileage very slightly. In addition, I either install a K&N air filter or cold-air induction system. I used to install free flowing exhausts, but the continual loud roar became very annoying, so I now stay with quieter exhausts.