1994 Honda Prelude Reviews - Page 5 of 5

1994 Honda Prelude I 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1994
Engine and transmission 2.0i Manual
Previous carFord Fiesta

Summary:

Looks 5 times more expensive than it is

It needed a new radiator.

Has a slight leak in the sunroof.

Had a crack behind the Headlight which let water in and caused steam.

General Comments:

All of the things that went wrong with the car can be expected on a car with this mileage.

It is the most reliable car I have owned and still looks amazing even at nearly 10 years old.

I have put some 17" alloys on it and a 5" exhaust just to make it look better.

I'm only a young lad and I have managed to afford to tun it so the petrol consumption isn't too bad, however parts are very very expensive e.g. £200 for a new headlight.

It isn't super fast, but is fast enough. Acceleration is great and it throws you back in your seat.

Overall it's been an amazing buy for

£2500. I'm definitely buying Jap from now on.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2003

1994 Honda Prelude 2.3i 2.3i from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1994
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.3i Automatic
Distance when acquired22000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen GTI

Summary:

A gin and tonic with a single shot; tasty, but not strong enough

Vibration started occurring under heavy braking. I assumed a warped disc, but was informed by Honda that just a thorough clean and de-glaze was needed. They did the job and braking is nearly A1. But not quite...

Tiny whistle at speed from a shoddy repair.

General Comments:

This car is almost my friend. I should share a couple of points with you, though.

It is not a sports car. It just hasn't got enough oomph. Catch the revs right, though, and there is a suspicion of tasty urge. Be warned: don't square up to a proper car - you'll watch it vanish.

Having said that, the handling is lovely. Such poise and predictable understeer can make anyone feel like an artist. I'm convinced I can confuse the four-wheel steer in chicanes, but maybe I'm just inventing things.

The Vtec sisters are slightly faster (I'd have bought one if I'd found a good example in time), but there isn't a huge difference.

Lots of car for not much dosh. Enjoy, but be prepared to look longingly at swifter rivals. If they'd fitted it with a three litre powerplant, we'd be talking about a classic...

Review Date: 21st July, 2002

27th Nov 2009, 16:31

3 litre power plant?? Oh my god, it's hard enough to keep petrol in the 2.0 and 2.2.. LOL.