1999 Hyundai Elantra Wagon 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Avoid a used one without verifiable records

Warranty was key to this car, as the transmission was replaced 3 times in two years. Good roadside assistance as we were 50 miles to the nearest dealer. The exhaust manifold cracked and we were told it's not covered, but when pressed, their own fine print clearly stated it was, and so they replaced that too.

If buying one used, see that the transmission, the manifold, and the timing belt, have been replaced.

General Comments:

Nice car really. Had to sell it when the warranty ended.

Plus it has one of those awful interference engines, which requires a new timing belt every 60,000 miles or the engine destroys itself if it breaks.

I would buy another since the warranty covered everything but the new belt. Just need to arrange for a loaner at my next deal.

Review Date: 5th January, 2010

1999 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Adequate basic transportation for a teen, nothing more

Remote and security system never did work right, so all doors are now keyed opened manually and the security system is disabled due to far too many false alarms.

Both front power window motor transports fell apart and jammed the motors. Windows are now temporarily wired closed until I can get to the local yard to get two new assemblies (MOST ANNOYING!). The transport mechanism is made extremely cheaply with some sort of very thin and flimsy plastic tape. It is no wonder both sides fell apart! CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!

Front light lenses constantly yellow up and block the head lighting, and have been buffed out several times, but continue to yellow after only a month or so.

Body sheet metal gauge is extremely thin and tinny, and the car has a few dents where someone leaned too hard on the side panels (unheard of!).

General Comments:

Despite the annoyances of above, for the price, the car is still within tolerable limits for costs to operate. I understand that the newer Elantra's are vastly improved.

The car is good basic transportation with really no comfort to it and a noisy interior, so no long trips!

The mileage for such a light car with a 2.0L engine is most disappointing. In the city, it barely clears 20 mpg. (I had a Pontiac Grand Prix that did that with a 3.8L six!)

Due to the newer improved Elantra models, this one can be sold used for far more than I would have thought. In fact, retails for about $750 more than I paid for it for my daughter over a year ago in early 2007.

Review Date: 1st July, 2008

1999 Hyundai Elantra GL from North America

Summary:

It's good for what it is. (I mean, REALLY, it's not a Beemer :)

Rusting around rear doors just after the 30000 bumper-to-bumper part of the warranty ran out.

Timing belts needed replacing at about 50000 to 60000 miles.

Driver front window motor stopped working.

On a road trip, all hoses blew out and needed replacing.

While commuting to work, the car stopped for no reason. In other words, it was like someone turned a light switch off. While the car was still moving, the computer went dead, the dashboard lights were dead and the engine went dead all in an instant. I pulled off the road and waited a few minutes and tried to start the car, but all it did was run for a minute and then shut off again. After speaking with one of the techs at my local dealer, he told me I probably used bad gas and that moisture more than likely caused the problem. That seemed lame, but after putting some drygas into my tank I haven't had that problem again, YET.

Passenger rear window motor stopped working.

General Comments:

I haven't seen much problem with my car until the last 6 months. In general, I like my car because it surprisingly can haul a lot of stuff with the 40/60 split back seat and because I don't get killed at the gas tank.

My goal is to keep it until it hits at least 200,000 miles.

I've come to website to find some more economical way to fix my older model Hyundai.

Review Date: 9th September, 2007