1997 Hyundai Excel Reviews

1997 Hyundai Excel Sprint from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1997
Distance when acquired82027 kilometres
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Very cute economical car, I love it!

When I first purchased the car, I knew it had a tappet problem, which I didn't mind, cos I was getting it fixed anyway.

The door handles, both in and outside, are a bit crappy, I've had to buy new handles for both doors.

Oh, and I didn't have power steering, surprisingly wasn't that heavy!

General Comments:

I love it, best car ever, I've never had anything bad happen to me whilst driving it!

The petrol intake is awesome, I don't let my tank get less than half way though, but when I fill it back up, it's less than $25, which is the only weekly cost.

The aircon is in great condition, served me well during summer =P and I haven't had to get it re gassed, the body is in good condition, although there's a chunk of paint missing on the drivers corner front bar, all my fault though.. I hit the garage wall!

Runs pretty good, not with a full load though! Best buy, especially if it's for a first car, or even for an economical cute ride! =)

I want my car to last until it doesn't drive anymore! =P.

Review Date: 24th March, 2010

1997 Hyundai Excel sprint from Australia and New Zealand

Model year1997
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission Manual
Most recent distance194000 kilometres
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

If anyone is looking for a reliable small car, buy an excel; you will never regret it

In the last few months the Throttle Position Control switch was diagnosed as needing replacement. A problem in the throttle control caused a 'jerkiness', as if the fuel was going through in spurts.

Other than that -- absolutely no faults. I replaced the battery once, and of course the tyres because I was doing a lot of kilometres. That is all, in nine years.

General Comments:

My car died when we went over the side of a low-lying bridge, and she landed on her head in the shallow creek. Miraculously, no-one accept my car was hurt. She gave her life for me.

A brilliant car. As to be expected, in the last couple of years, she was not quite as powerful as she was in her youth; but small 4 cylinder cars are not designed to remain work-horses forever. In her prime, she would give any 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder a run for their money on the highways.

Being a hatchback, if I laid down the back seats, I was able to carry building materials etc that I could not fit into a car twice her size.

The doors were large and sometimes difficult to open comfortably in crowded car-parks, but it was my choice to buy a two-door instead of a four-door, so that was my fault not hers.

This is a tribute to my baby. I will miss her very much.

Review Date: 6th March, 2006

1997 Hyundai Excel sprint 1.5 from Australia and New Zealand

Previous carMitsubishi Colt

Summary:

Fantastic, cool looking car

Nothing yet!!

Seats are worn.

General Comments:

Fantastic little car!! Very fast off the mark at traffic lights gutsy up hills as well. Easy to park even though it doesn't have power steering.

Review Date: 5th April, 2003

1997 Hyundai Excel Sprint 1.5 SOHC 12 valve efi from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.5 SOHC 12 valve efi Manual
Previous carFord Falcon

Summary:

A lot of performance for little money

In 138000km my Excel Sprint has needed one new battery at 125000km. Nothing else has ever gone wrong with this car. It has never been in to a dealer for warranty repairs. It has only received routine maintenance such as oil and filter changes and new rubber. it is still on original brakes, suspension and exhaust. These items have shown relatively little wear to date. There is not even one rattle or squeak to be heard in the entire car.

General Comments:

My car cost $13990 Australian dollars drive away no more to pay in September 1997. Thus it has no power steering or air conditioning. It was bought as a second car so the lack of these creature comforts has never been a bother. It performs extremely well and with the 5 speed manual gearbox is very economical to run. I regularly achieve 600km from each tank of petrol.

Review Date: 8th October, 2002

6th Dec 2003, 16:58

Do you have a stock standard petrol tank or any modifications? In my Excel I'm usually getting about 400Km around town and the very most I've ever got out of it was 550Km straight highway driving at a constant 100Km an hour. This was from running premium unleaded and using a 5 speed manual. A reliable and reasonably quick car.