1997 Hyundai Excel Sprint 1.5 OHC 12 valve from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A very cheap to run performer

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

It's the best small car on the road. I love my Excel - very cheap to run, looks good and is very nice to drive.

Review Date: 25th June, 2001

1997 Hyundai Excel Sprint from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A cheap rattler

Clutch replaced twice.

Oil leak.

Rattles.

Gears are very "clunky"

General Comments:

I would never buy another Hyundai or recommend one to anyone else.

Review Date: 23rd June, 2001

27th Jun 2006, 06:33

A new clutch so soon? Burnt out first and second gear? Maybe you did too many burnouts... It's a small Hyundai not a V8 supercar mate!

30th Nov 2007, 02:09

I bought my 1997 excel gx 2 years ago 2nd hand. The 3rd week I owned it the gear box needed reconditioning. 6 months later the clutch went and the gear box needed redoing again due to half a job being done the 1st time. 3 months later the slave cylinder went. 6 months later it was the alternator, radiator timing belt etc. It looks as though the clutch and or gearbox needs redoing again 19 months later. I certainly will never be buying another hyundai.

1997 Hyundai Excel Sprint 1.5 OHC - 12 valve from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A great car all round and at a very cheap price

The car has really had very few problems for a budget car of this price.

There was a slight vibration in the steering at speeds above 100km/hour, and this was found to be mainly due to a warped wheel rim.

Also there are one or two slight rattles that have appeared very recently.

The car has never let me down and still feels like it has a lot more life left in it.

General Comments:

It seems that people sometimes forget that these cars are budget cars and as such are built to a price. Therefore they should not expect the build quality of a much more expensive car like an Audi A4 for instance.

But this being said, these are great little cars. They have heaps of power, are really cheap to run and fuel efficient, the seats are really comfortable and you don't get tired on long trips like other small cars.

For its size the car has an enormous carrying capacity. I can only speak for my car, but I have found it to be very reliable and well built for the price. My major criticism of these cars is the lack of accessories on the base model cars and the less than precise gear change.

The car handles very well and I have taken my car on dirt, snow, 4WD roads and twice across the Nullabor Plain and it has not let me down. I can also out accelerate other cars with larger engines at the traffic lights.

I think a lot of people that criticize these cars don't treat them very well and hence they break down on them due to mistreatment.

Review Date: 7th June, 2001

1997 Hyundai Excel LS 1.5 from Philippines

Summary:

Great performance in the first year!

At 30K kms I replaced the condenser fan motor.

At 34K kms replaced the airconditioning evaporator.

Replaced rear wheel bearings.

Head lights busted.

Corrosion everywhere!!!

Suspension not so good (Well, what do you expect on a cheap car!)

General Comments:

Even though I have replaced so much parts in the second year of ownership, I would still say that I had enjoyed and had fun driving it.

I hope that Hyundai make a better version of this model.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2000

7th Nov 2004, 04:15

Hey Ron,

Have you ever heard of people saying 3 grand instead of 3 thousands? Well it's the same here. This guy wrote 30K kms AND 34K kms. That letter "K" after the number 30 and 34 means thousands. So, don't think that he is giving you some "Very inaccurate report" as you would say. He is only using a SLANG way of saying thousands of kilometers. OK?

So just to rephrase it for you what he meant:

At 30,000 kms HE replaced the condenser fan motor.

At 34,000 kms HE replaced the air-conditioning evaporator.

I hope my comment helped.

Neb.