2003 Hyundai Getz XL 1.3 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Cheap and very underpowered

Hard to shift in reverse, from the factory.

Electrical problem prevented starting once in a while.

General Comments:

This car is cheap and underpowered. Although it didn't break down on me, the 1.3L SOHC motor started to sound harsh and tired after a couple of years' use, mainly due to having to rev hard on every take off to keep up with traffic. Slow up hills.

Review Date: 17th March, 2011

15th Feb 2013, 11:04

The reason it is cheap is because it's underpowered. These cars were very cheap brand new, just what are you expecting from these cars? Personally I wouldn't get the 1.3 as they aren't so much under powered, but the very wide gearing in the transmissions mean you'll get good fuel economy at the expense of any kind of performance. The 1.5L model suffered from the same thing, but that's what the car was built for. It was cheap when new with good fuel economy.

2003 Hyundai Getz CDX 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Great reliable car. The getz is worth the price

Problem with rear suspension from day one.

General Comments:

Great small car 65,000 miles and no problems beside a knocking noise on the suspension on rough terrain.

Not the best on the motorway as the car has to be reved to the max to keep up speed, thus the result is a loud noise.

Review Date: 31st March, 2006

2003 Hyundai Getz 1.1 GSI 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Well designed, spacious and economical. Engine becomes a bit "thrashy" higher speeds

Nothing to date.

General Comments:

My first Hyundai car. After too many Rover and Volkswagen cars that let me down all to often, my last Rover 214SI engine blowing up resulting in it being scrapped at six years old, I have turned to the Japanese manufacturers for my last four cars. I have owned two very reliable Nissan Micra cars and two "do they never go wrong" Honda Civic cars over the last eight years. Needless to say, I only see a garage every year for service and MOT schedules.

The Hyundai Getz is my first venture away from the safe ground of Japanese car building. This is due to my neighbour moving to live in Spain and letting go of her Getz at a very low price befire she went. To expensive for her to take it with transport and import duties.

I have now owned the car for three four months and benchmark it against the Nissan and Honda cars I am familiar with.

So far, so good. It is more spacious and economical than my Micra 1.3GX and is just as well equiped. The driving position is nice and high and the seat comfortable. Some of the inside does feel a bit cheap against Nissans/Honda cars ( As car magazine reviews often state) but the price for the car as new, is lower. It has a tight and comfortable feel when driving and is quite perky for short distance driving.

The only two criticisms are that engine sounds "thrashy" at higher speeds and when pushed when using low gears in town. Secondly the indicators and wiper stalks from the steering wheel are on the wrong side ! ( every car I have driven for the last six years has had them on the "normal" side ). For the first couple of weeks of ownership, I was frequently spotted with my wipers on fast speed when turning right at a junction ! Still getting confused when I go back to driving our four year old Honda Civic which is "nomal".

Apart from these two gripes, I am so far more than happy with my Getz. I still have just under three years of the five year warranty left, a free service in summer and nine months RAC cover on the car. If it keeps up its current performance, I might move away from the safe ground of Japanese cars to its pacific rim neighbour for my next replacements.

I understand Hyundia also own Kia and both manufacturers have fast market growth in the UK. Rover has gone, how long can other USA and European manaufacturers hold on ? Discuss !

Review Date: 5th March, 2006

22nd Oct 2007, 06:26

Pleased to read your comments on the Getz. I have a 05 Polo 55 reg and have no confidence in it, spring came through rear seat, door fit problems etc. I am going to get a Getz.

Thanks,