2005 Hyundai Getz GSi 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A competent and classless car for all pockets

Nothing.

General Comments:

Buying this car brand new, this is the first ever BRAND NEW car I've ever bought. My previous car, a large and well equipped ROVER 800Si couldn't be more different.. or could it?

I needed a car that was economical, so after trying a few other small cars, chose this one, due to the fantastic 5 year warranty, 3 year free servicing, RAC membership etc.

Expecting to have to put up with a cramped underpowered car, I was pleasantly surprised at the large amount of room, both in height and width, and the airyness of the cabin. Also, the car is the ideal town car, with bags of power in the low rev ranges, for nipping around town.

Also, as this is the entry level car, the 1.1 GSi, I was expecting little in the way of extras.

Again, I was surprised to find electric windows, power steering, twin airbags, central locking with immobiliser, CD player, three triple point rear seatbelts, and a host of other features. The interior design is superb, with pockets, and stowage spaces everywhere, controls all in the right places, and everything 'backlit' at night.

Best of all was fuel economy. Whilst there have been reports in the first few hundred miles of poor fuel economy, after 1000 miles or so, I have failed to get less than 40 MPG (mostly town driving). On long motorway runs I was averaging 50 MPG.

The engine is smooth (virtually silent at tickover), and the gearchange incredibly slick and smooth.

I really find it hard to fault this car - I've looked long and hard, and the only things I can pick up on are a lack of power around the 50MPH range for overtaking. I would also liked an armrest or centre console box to rest my elbows on during long runs.

Hardly a major problem!

Spaciousness in the back is fairly limited for passengers, as you'd expect for a car of this size. However, there is a reasonable amount of luggage space, and the split 60/40 rear seats can virtually turn this vehicle into a small van!

Finally, we come down to the price. under 6000 GBP, which is unreal. An absolute bargain.

This car just stomps all over the competition!

Hyundai promote themselves as a car first and badge second, and I couldn't agree more. Badge snobs won't be interested, which is all the better for everyone else, to whom a decent car is more important than image.

Review Date: 24th December, 2005

15th May 2006, 05:11

Hey just a quick one where is the compliance plate on a 2002 gl 3 door getz? can't find it and lost the book cheers.

2005 Hyundai Getz GL 1.1 from Philippines

Summary:

It' s a good buy and a great performer

Nothing substantial went wrong, as in nothing.

General Comments:

This car has a fairly acceptable engine power for a 1.1 engine. However, the air conditioning system which is also of Korean brand isn't quite converted in a manner that it has to perform in a tropical country like the Philippines. Air con power is quite weak compared to other brands as that of a Toyota Vios.

Review Date: 27th October, 2005

9th Jun 2006, 05:07

Kabayan, get the diesel. You'll love it. And they solved that problem with the aircon.

16th Jun 2006, 22:45

Kabayan, the aircon is now working superbly. I can say that its already tropicalized... The cooling power is an "A". It just needed to be used frequently to get its full cooling power going.

Thank you.

2005 Hyundai Getz GSi 1.1 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fantastic little car!

Possibly slight wear on the carpets, however I have purchased mats and therefore there is no problem now.

General Comments:

This is my first car, however I have driven a few other vehicles. I get over 40mpg out of the car, which equates to approximately 15km/litre and I do a lot a town driving as well as distance driving. The ride is smooth enough, the seats are comfy and there is lots of rear leg room. Acceleration is very good for a 1.1, get from 0 to 30 in under 6 seconds and then to sixty in about 14 seconds on a flat. I will get 100 mph out of it (150kph approx.). All round a great car, I purchased it for under £GB 6000. It gives a very quiet drive in most situations even at high speeds.

Review Date: 27th October, 2005