2013 Hyundai i30 1.4 petrol from Israel

Summary:

This is the best ever car among those I've owned

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

General Comments:

I took this car as a leasing car from work. Drove it for 1 year and then had to leave my employer for another one. Thus, I bought it off the leasing company and I am driving it as my private vehicle ever since.

This is the somewhat simpler trim - the leasing version. However, it has all the necessary things and does not have the things that I can certainly do without. So here goes:

- It has rear parking sensors (very useful) but does not have a rear view camera (nice to have, but parking sensors do just fine).

- It has simple in-dash radio/CD/MP3 player (but I had to install for some extra money the USB/AUX port pair, the firmware of the player already had MP3).

- It does not have Bluetooth though I had a Bluetooth handset from the leasing company; after a grand total of 6 years (it was transferred between leased cars) I had to remove it; I bought a simple cable that has a mike, goes into AUX in the car and earphone jack in the cell phone - works like a charm and as a bonus I get to hear the people with whom I talk from the car radio.

- It has rather simple 4 speakers but they do the work just fine; given the surprisingly quiet ride, I rarely bump the volume above 15 (maximum is 50 if I am not mistaken).

- Flexi-steer system where you can change the resistance of the steering wheel (comfort/normal/sport) is a blessing. Parking it in comfort setting is a breeze.

In terms of ride and performance this is relatively relaxed car - the 1.4L 100 BHP normally aspirated petrol engine is modest, but paired with 6 speed manual gear box there is certain fun in it, especially given that 99.9% of nowadays motorists drive automatic gear box cars. The system that holds the wheels when starting uphill is extremely useful.

This car has ISG - Integrated Stop and Go system. The engine goes off when you release the clutch on the stop. After some time (between 1 minute if you use A/C and 3 minutes if not) the engine re-starts on its own. Or it re-starts when you depress the clutch. Some say this is bad for the engine. So far I've been using it all the time (except when the battery was getting weak, then it automatically disables) and found it very useful. The idea of being stuck in traffic and for 1 hour drive having your car actually not running 5-10 minutes sounds like a good idea in terms of fuel economy and air pollution.

For fuel economy having driven for a tad more than 100,000 km, I get on average 6.4 l/100 km on mixed cycle. The figure is based on Android aCar application that I use to record all my car related expenses. I even was able once to score 4.9 l/100 km though it was an extra smooth ride.

Here in Israel, Hyundai gives 3 years or 100,000 km warranty. I drove my car for 3.5 years, 102,000 km, serviced it in an official service center and had no problems whatsoever - it's been absolutely 100% reliable. The recommended service interval is 30,000 km. I take it in each 15,000 km in order to replace oil, filters, etc. The costs are there, but they are certainly worth it, because of the reliability and relatively low fuel consumption of this car.

Finally, in terms of general comfort, the engine noise is handled extremely well. The wind noise is also very low. Less so is noise from the wheels and wheel arches. To remedy that somewhat you would have to buy tires with lower noise rating or just settle for what you have. Having said that, on reasonably new and/or smooth tarmac, it is really very quiet and very comfortable.

All in all, having owned two Corollas, Kia Ceed, Peugeot 308 and others, I should say - this is by far my favorite car. It offers modest promises, but it over-delivers and I cannot possibly recommend it enough for small family hatchback.

Review Date: 26th November, 2016

2013 Hyundai i30 Active 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Nothing.

General Comments:

Bought this car as a replacement for an iX20 with FNS suspension knock - a fairly common fault, which so far has eluded Hyundai as regards a cure (see review on this website).

On delivery, went off for a holiday in the Cotswolds and some very bad roads! The i30 suspension is widely reported to be soft, and while I still don't think it's up to Astra standards, it is very acceptable. Certainly a vast improvement in compliance and noise over the iX20. The Active has higher profile tyres than the posher models, and is all the better for them.

Whilst on the subject of tyres, if you buy one and get a choice of Hankook or Continental, opt for the latter. On some road surfaces, the former are noisy, made more audible by the quietness of the engine and cabin generally. Not awful, though, and certainly not a deal breaker.

The cabin isn't any roomier than the iX20; neither is the boot, and of course you sit lower, but it's all big enough for most (I would think) and we've found it perfectly comfortable.

The 6-speed auto box is virtually imperceptible in use and 'matches' the engine very nicely. Standard equipment includes cruise control (and speed limiter), which is very easy to use. The Flexsteer has been adversely criticised by journo's, but I keep it on Comfort because I like it that way!

The whole car seems designed for gentle relaxing driving and - if it goes on like this - I'll be very happy to keep it for 3+ years. I really can't find anything to fault on it yet, but I'm sure that'll change once I'm out of the honeymoon period! More reports to follow.

Review Date: 25th March, 2013

27th Apr 2013, 04:48

So, a month and 800 miles on, and out of the honeymoon period! Pleased to report that nothing has gone wrong, no oil or water used; even the tyres haven't lost any air! Not doing huge mileage, I'm not really bothered re fuel economy, but it seems to be high 30's; more on a run with cruise control on.

It may not be the car for 'spirited' driving (although I think it's more stable than the iX20) but it's arrow-straight on the motorway and fine for me on the average A and B roads. Whatever the journos say, I doubt any normal driver would have cause for complaint.

Ride quality is OK, but no more than that. It's a great pity that - because they take more notice of motoring journo's than customers - makers all seem to fit 'rubber-band' tyres for ultimate handling. Whereas most of us would prefer a decent ride!

At least the Active has some reasonably tall rubber on, and it's a lot better than the iX20 (and that was better than similar cars) so I have no real complaint, even though it's not to Astra standards in my opinion.

Road noise is high on some surfaces, but acceptable on most. The forums have info re quieter tyres, but that can wait; they're no worse than many similar cars. Generally it's a quiet and relaxed drive all round.

The only real 'fault' I can pick out is the uneven panel gaps and generally poor external fit. Disappointing in this day and age. Same as the iX20 and other Hyundai's I've looked at, and not up to Japanese standards at all. Makes no difference to the drive, but I cannot understand why no journo has ever commented on this. The press cars must surely be the same? At least the interior is OK.

Ignoring the above (not difficult), I remain very happy with this car. Whether it's worth the list £17,100 I don't know - not cheap for a mid-range Hyundai. With this model, I suppose what you're basically getting over the rivals is a free (and very nice) auto box. Price-wise, Hyundai is basically going in the same direction as the Japanese, but build quality-wise I think they have a bit more work to do!