2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 3.3 from North America

Not sure I would buy Hyundai again

We have had a '09 Santa Fe Limited for six months now, and we have had a problem with noise since the first day we took it on the highway.

At highway speed of 100-120 km/h, there is a high pitched whistling sound coming from the passenger side somewhere in the heat/AC vents. Have got no satisfaction from the dealer with it, and they have no idea what is causing it.

Has anybody else had this problem or something similar?

Review Date: 10th February, 2010

10th Feb 2010, 15:53

My 08 Santa Fe is extremely quiet at highway speeds. You might want to check the weatherstripping on your passenger window.

4th May 2010, 19:34

Seriously, you would not consider buying an entire brand based off a noise that may or may not be related to weather stripping? I'd expect to hear that from people who have had major system failures, transmissions, etc. Seems a little extreme of a title for a whistling noise at 120kmh.

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GL 3.3L from North America

Good bang for the buck!

Nothing, it's pretty much new.

General Comments:

The first thing I want to say about Hyundai is the customer service at my dealership is amazing! In a time when the auto industry isn't doing so well, the guys at Hyundai are very on the ball and know how to make a sale.

Secondly, the financing was better than any of the other companies that I checked out. (I also considered Toyota Rav4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forrester, and Nissan Rogue), can't go wrong with 0.9.. well 0 would be better, but the other rates were out of this world.

The Santa Fe has a lot of options, power, and space for its price point. With the 3.3L engine, it's a very comfortable vehicle on the highway and handles poor conditions very well. I have equipped it with Kumho winter tires, and it can handle the New Brunswick winter driving conditions quite well.

The safety rating is a plus, my insurance rates went from $122/month to $81/month.

My only negative point is that the fuel consumption ratings given in the specs aren't accurate, the only time I get the rated hwy consumption is if I'm going 90 on a flat road, but the speed limit in NB and NS is 110 and the roads are NOT flat. I feel as though the fuel consumption should be more accurately measured, though it probably wouldn't have affected my buying decision.

Review Date: 8th February, 2010

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 3.3 from North America

Great family car

Nothing yet, the car is still new.

General Comments:

Fit and finish are good.

The Santa Fe is very quiet and comfortable.

The Santa Fe (with the larger V-6) tows our pop-up camper with ease. It has more horsepower and torque than our old Windstar with its 3.8 engine.

We saved more than $7000 by buying this vehicle, versus a comparably equipped Toyota Highlander.

I love the back hatch for hauling groceries, and for stowing gear for camping trips.

I love the fact that I can easily reach the spark plugs on the engine. I told my wife, no more minivans!!! After we had so many problems with the Ford Windstar, she finally listened to me.

The fuel tank is too small, it should hold at least 20 gallons of fuel for long trips.

I will update this review as time goes on. I expect this car to have much less problems than we had with our 1998 Ford Windstar. I loved to drive the Windstar, but it's dead now (Cash for Clunkers).

Review Date: 8th February, 2010

8th Feb 2010, 16:05

Make sure that if you are towing a trailer, even a small one, that you perform more maintenance than you normally would with a car that doesn't tow anything. This means you should definitely be changing the oil every 3,000 miles, and the transmission fluid should be changed every 25,000. You probably already know this, but I figured I'd say it just in case. Not doing these things, especially when towing a trailer, can result in premature failure, most likely of the transmission.

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 from North America

She's NICE!

Nothing, it is still pretty new.

General Comments:

Super quiet.

Lots of power.

Can tow 3500lbs.

Good fit and finish.

Decent fuel consumption for its size.

Comfortable interior; me and my wife are both tall, there is tons of room.

Smooth transmission nice selectable automatic.

I like the looks of it.

Seems like good value to me, plus great warranty!!

Could use a bigger fuel tank to extend the range; gets about 500 kms to a tank if you're not being conservative.

Plus I always hit the mute button on the steering wheel by accident; not a big deal though.

Review Date: 31st January, 2010

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi 2.2 turbo diesel from Australia and New Zealand

Solid, great value

We have had only ONE 'problem' in a year - the driver's seatbelt catch wouldn't always latch first time - but this was very minor and fixed at the first service.

General Comments:

The car pulls like a freight train - large gobs of torque from low down - which is what you want with a 7 seater SUV. The CRDi is the top of the range, and comes with everything - from leather seats to a cooled storage box.

Review Date: 13th January, 2010

13th Jan 2012, 10:29

I wish we could get more diesel options here in the US. I keep hearing that the EPA is the major roadblock, but I think that is just an excuse. For some reason, the major auto manufacturers (VW is the exception) believe (wrongly) that US consumers won't buy diesel vehicles.

There are many rumors that Ford and Chevy will introduce an optional diesel engine for their half ton pickups, but I keep getting older, and still no diesel pickup. What a letdown.