2013 Hyundai Sonata from North America

Hyundai's improved reputation doesn't match the still cheap cars

The stock tires are deathtraps in the snow. Same problem exists on Hyundai Genesis, so my number one advice to Hyundai shoppers, besides saying don't buy a Hyundai, is to suggest that you factor a new set of tires into the cost of the car unless you live in the south.

Oil leak after only two years. Dealership service dept claimed it was a perished seal on the oil plug. How does that go bad in a two year old car? When replaced, the car still leaked.

Battery dead after only two years. Not merely needing a charge; it no longer held a charge. Again, how does this happen after two years? No, I did not leave lights on or anything like that. In 20 years I only ever had a battery die on me one other time, and that was an almost 10 year old car.

General Comments:

Performance comes and goes. Sometimes you step on the gas and get a nice peppy response. Other times, I only get a gentle acceleration. As if it were in too high a gear, and wouldn't adjust no matter what I did.

The bottom hinge gas pedal forces my leg further forward in order to get my toes on the end of the lever. This is uncomfortable.

The seats are not particularly comfy.

There's a cheap plastic engine protector under the car that tore off on light contact with a curb.

Gas mileage doesn't come anywhere near advertised.

Review Date: 18th October, 2015