10th Feb 2017, 09:47

There must be a reasonable number of differences in cars being produced in different countries. The issue you had with the 2.4 engines is unheard of here in New Zealand. A friend bought a 2005 brand new, admittedly a 3.3 V6, but the lack of noise was the first thing I noticed - even on "coarse chip" country roads here, the car was very silent inside. I think the noise insulation for cars sent here and Australia have been upgraded due to the pavement. In your case, perhaps change the tyres to quieter ones, they do make a difference. For road noise, I also noticed that Japanese cars sold brand-new here tend to be quieter than the exact same model brought in as used imports from Japan, I was told it was because the roads in Japan are smooth and so cars don't need as much sound deadening. Perhaps that is how US-built Sonatas are configured.

3rd Nov 2017, 20:11

I am the owner of the original post. I'm at 74k miles and the car is still going strong. I'm just doing the manufacturer recommendations at the scheduled miles (coolant flush, tranny flush, oil, etc) and I will have this car for a while. At the 70k mile marker, the dealership did a recall and made sure my engine was still solid. They did a test to make sure my engine is not prematurely wearing out. (I.e. "engine knocking"). I passed. :) I will keep trying to update every so often on this post to make sure readers are getting all the correct info.

3rd Nov 2017, 23:52

How are you finding the headlamps? I've read some reviews saying some customers find the standard headlamps not good enough.

13th Nov 2017, 04:26

I also do not like the factory standard low beam H7 bulbs. However, my Sonata has the factory fog/driving lights which helps a lot, filling more light onto the road. I bought upgraded H7 bulbs (in retail stores and online) and all the bulbs I received did not live up to the advertising. Retail store bulb was still yellow on a advertised white color bulb. And on a internet was holy moly blue color on a also advertised white color bulb. So I went to aftermarket HID, but I made a huge mistake. I thought the OEM H7 is a 55 watt bulb, so I bought an HID 55 watt kit, BUT it got so hot in the housing that is dis-formed the projector glass caused more problems. After hundreds of dollars, I found myself back to using the OEM 55 watt H7 low beam and 35 watt fog light. :(

13th Nov 2017, 08:14

Looks like there isn't much you could do - it's probably the design of the reflectors or the limitations of that shape of headlamp which determines the kind of light the thing will throw out. I've read the current Ford Mondeo (Fusion in Nth America) also has similar problems with the low beams - they also have slim headlamps. You wonder at times if these people who design cars actually test their products in the real world. At least you have the foglamps which supplement it.