Below I have listed a bunch of comments and thoughts on the car, in no particular order.
- The car is quite heavy, and it feels somewhat nose heavy. Especially under hard braking.
- Brakes are weak, the car needs larger brakes for its weight. The ABS is too aggressive, not taking the tires to their grip limit. It's impossible to lock up the brakes (which is good and bad). Though during autocross runs I take out the ABS fuse to kill it, this requires very precise pedal modulation to prevent locking up the wheels in hard braking, but if you do it right, you can stop in shorter distances (though this does degrade hard braking & cornering).
- Suspension seems a bit soft for a performance oriented suspension, especially when coming to a complete stop during heavy braking. The car seems to rock backwards and forwards like an SUV. Lowering springs and stiffer shocks help remedy this a lot.
- Suspension doesn’t do well over potholes and big bumps… giving you a somewhat jarring effect. It's not painful, but it doesn’t sound or feel quite as pleasant as driving over small squirrels.
- Should be noted after suspension and tires upgrade, the car handles a LOT better, and can take corners at much higher speeds.
- The door handles feel cheap. When you push/pull the door from inside the car via the handle, it makes that wonderful plastic on plastic rubbing/cracking sound. It's not terrible, but I feel they could have done better. But they still work and haven't broken; just annoying.
- The handbrake is weak, so weak in fact I do not trust it if I parked on a somewhat steep hill. I tried to get the dealership to adjust it, but they said the cable was already at its adjusting point limit.
- Power assist steering is too slow to keep up! Steering becomes extremely heavy for aggressive driving at the lower speeds (<30 MPH). Suspect this is problem with the power assist or steering rack, as when you try to do quick adjustments, you are fighting the power steering because it's too slow. Had major problems with this in the slaloms at autocross. It's very difficult to tell, but I think the ABS might be kicking in a bit during this cornering, because when the ABS fuse out, it didn't seem as heavy during those quick maneuvers.
- The clutch pedal has a strange delay during power shifting; it comes up about 200 milliseconds after you lift your foot off of it (that's 2/10 of a second BTW). Apparently this is caused by the slave cylinder's valve spring, which also creates clutch ‘slippage’ during quick power shifts. After the transmission and clutch were replaced, I decided to take that spring out. Soooo much better with it out, no more delay...
- The rear wiper is really needed... seems they only took it off on the 2006 models for looks. That's great, but it's needed! If I don't want it on, I can take it off!
- The radio antenna is annoying, I usually brush it with my arm accidentally when walking around the rear side of the car.
- The remote keyless entry system is slow to respond, especially to open the passenger side door. And there is no remote hatch open option either.
- Sunroof operation buttons are annoying, seems there is a ‘sweet spot’ to get it to work. Light pressure works fine, however if you press it firmly, it goes beyond the switch's range of response and doesn’t work.
- Rear glass makes annoying cracking/rattling sound when the temp is below freezing; worse the colder it is.
I'd list everything I like about it, but honestly there are too many. Obviously I like the car if I still have it after almost two years, and I take as many pictures of it as I do...
However, I will likely be selling soon so I can get the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe... RWD, 300+ HP, and all for under $30K baby! Woo!