1979 IHC Scout II Reviews

1979 IHC Scout II Rallye 345 V8 from North America

Model year1979
First year of ownership1980
Engine and transmission 345 V8 Automatic

Summary:

Perfection on wheels!

Water in the tranny while fording a stream some time in the early 90s. Rear end ring and pinion needed to be replaced this year.

General Comments:

The finest means of transportation ever devised by man. If God himself goes wheelin' I'll bet hard money it's in a Scout! I have served in the Army, and Hummer just ain't in it with a Scout! The 88 tank retrieval vehicle is the only thing I've ever driven that's even close!

Review Date: 14th September, 2010

1979 IHC Scout II traveall 345 from North America

First year of ownership1997
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 345 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet C10

Summary:

A well built suv

General Comments:

This truck is very reliable, the biggest problem I have is rust on the body. The powertrain is strong and reliable for doing everything.

Review Date: 9th August, 2002

1979 IHC Scout II Travel Top 345 V8 4B carb from North America

First year of ownership1980
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 345 V8 4B carb Manual

Summary:

True 4x4 performance and great value, buy one if you can find it

The 79 Scout II used a Prestolite distributor and I have had some trouble with this distributor.

Other than that, nothing has gone wrong with this 4X4 other than normal wear and tear.

General Comments:

I am the original owner of this Scout and drove it for many years in Arizona. It always performed well in some tough situations. I have owned many 4X4 trucks and currently own a Ford Explorer as my daily driver. I believe that the later IHC Scouts are the best 4X4s ever made. Tough and reliable with a good balance between size, power, comfort and off-road performance.

I am planning to rebuild the engine, have it painted in the next year and I hope to have it around for a second 20+ years.

Review Date: 19th November, 2000

30th Nov 2002, 22:03

The only problem I've had with my Scout II is I had to replace the electronic module in the distributor. Mine has the 304 cu. in. engine. Runs great.

I wish the body was in better shape. I also wish it had a better heater. I've done some fantastic things with mine. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Thanks so much for this forum.

23rd Nov 2009, 15:53

I need some help please. I recently bought my grandfathers old 1979 Scout II Traveler. The top has the hatchback option. I am looking for a replacement hinge for this lift gate that attaches to the top. The one on it currently is damaged and needs to be replaced. As I read more into this vehicle, I am finding that the Traveler was one of the more rare models. I have searched some of the larger scout supply stores with no luck. Does anyone out there know where I can find this hinge assembly?

9th Feb 2010, 21:36

I am buying my son a '79 Scout II Traveler. It's all stock, but couldn't turn down the price! Only has 80 thousand original miles on it!

My question is: if I put 15's on it, how big can I go with the tires before I need to lift it? Right now it has the original 14's on it. Would like to put 15 - 33's on it if I can. Does anyone know? Please help.

1979 IHC Scout II 4x4 345 from North America

Engine and transmission 345

It is a very tough truck and will go through almost anything. Rusting out body parts is its number 1 problem.

Review Date: 7th February, 1999