2001 Infiniti I30 Reviews

2001 Infiniti I30 Sedan 3.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carChevrolet Lumina

Summary:

It ran great until it quit!

Electrical issue with the car that caused it to just stop running, wherever and whenever. No warning, no Check Engine Light, nothing. The engine would just shut down. I first took it to Nissan because it was 30 miles closer than Infiniti, but after 3 tries, they gave up. Then took it to Infiniti. They replaced parts for $500, and said it was fixed. I got 1 block from the dealer and it did the same thing. After 2 weeks, they determined that it must be the wiring harness, but would not guarantee that it would fix the problem. Since this was the primary transportation for my wife and kids, I had no choice but to get rid of it. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the issue, I had to take what the dealer offered me for it... Yes, they bought from me for a fraction of what I paid.

General Comments:

I was really heartbroken to have to give up this car, as it really did perform well.. Not sure if I would chance another Infiniti.

Review Date: 4th February, 2011

2001 Infiniti I30 3.0L from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.0L Automatic
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

Overrated

My radiator had to be replaced ($225 to replace).

Valve cover gasket leaked oil ($350 to replace).

Oil pan leaked oil ($250).

Three way catalyst? Had to be replaced ($1200).

Power steering fluid leak ($200).

Now idle air control valve code is throwing a check engine light. IAC valve ($215 without labor).

And possibly a new ECU because of the IAC valve ($800).

Reprogramming of new ECU at the dealer ($90).

General Comments:

When I first purchased the car, it ran great! Rode smooth, had great performance and was reliable. Drove all over the Southern U.S.

But, in the last two years, I have had to replace the radiator ($225 since I replaced it myself, otherwise $375), oil pan gasket ($250), valve cover gasket ($350), three way catalyst (I think that's what it was called - $1200). I will never forget the price of that, because it went out during my honeymoon in Tennessee Smokey Mountains. Nothing better than being on your honeymoon, and having to pay $1200 when you get back home to your local mechanic to fix your car.

Power steering fluid leak two months later ($200). PS fluid was leaking all over my garage.

Now when I pulled up to work about a week ago, my check engine soon came on. When I got it checked at Autozone; it's the IAC valve. Replaced that myself ($225 after tax) and the CEL is still on. I was told by my mechanic that it may have damaged my ECU, and I will have to buy another one. He said they run around $900.

Bottom line, I will never buy another Nissan made automobile in my life. I have a 02 Silverado with 80,131 miles on it, and my wife has a 05 Cavalier with 98,222 miles on it, and have never had a problem with them. Then Infint (that's her nickname) was gonna be our travel car, but with all these problems, maybe I should stick to Chevy's.

Review Date: 13th January, 2011