1994 Isuzu Trooper from North America - Comments

20th Dec 2011, 19:24

I have 94 SOHC Trooper that I bought after putting 56K miles on my 92 in 2 years. I was at 150K with the new one by 96. I now have 925k on my truck.

It also ticked starting at about 300K, and I ran it until it was ready to quit.

I installed replacement factory lifters and rockers, stopping short of pulling cams and replacing cam bearings. It is ticking only lightly today, so I know it has a long way to go if the motor doesn't blow first. I believe I owe the lack of re-occurring lifter ticking to have switched back and forth between regular and synthetic oils after the new lifters.

I have put only 4 timing belts in it, 3 manual transmissions, 3 starters and 3 AC compressors.

Interestingly, never an alternator, and low oil pressure has always been present.

I tell you because I thought you people with your low mileage 94's may like to know what to expect.

It's an amazing truck, and I often wonder if Isuzu truly knows what a great truck they built. I think the world of these trucks.

18th Jan 2012, 11:03

Yes, I have a problem with oil pressure; means the motor is tired. There's this stuff called Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is good for a car with high mileage; I use it in all my cars. I was using 10w40 oil. I'm gonna switch to 2w50 oil, maybe it'll help raise the oil pressure, and I always use super gas in it.

Need any more info, my email is mff84@aol.com

24th May 2012, 14:41

It sounds like the tech did not get the timing right. Could be off a tooth. The only way to fix this is to pull the cover back off and start all over. You should not need a new belt or anything; just need the timing belt put on with all the timing marks lining up. It's pretty easy to get the belt a tooth off (out of time). The best thing to do when you get the belt on, is to rotate the motor two full times. Then before you put everything back together, start the engine and see if it's running right. That's how I always do it, and I never have to go back and do it again.

9th Oct 2012, 11:51

What I do to quiet the lifters is use 5-30 weight oil and add a quart of Reslone treatment. This helps lubricate and quiet the lifters. Works great, and continues to do the job until your next oil change. Cost is about 6 dollars, and all you need is one quart of it. Good luck!

1994 LS Trooper, 179,000 miles.

Miguel Ybarra, Del Norte, CO.

3rd Jan 2013, 23:59

Sounds like you threw a rod bearing. Drop the oil pan and check them all to see if they have been thrown or possibly spun.

Add another comment