2001 Jaguar S-Type Reviews

2001 Jaguar S-Type 4.0 from North America

Year of manufacture2000
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Hands down the dumbest decision I ever made

Window regulators, transmission, no heater, sagging headliner, fan stays running for long time after car is off, sway bars, brakes, rotors (very cheaply made), GPS turns on and off, interior door handle covers broken, cup holders in back seat stuck in, voice commands stop working, timing belt.

General Comments:

Very comfortable to ride, and looks nice as a YARD ORNAMENT. Once you get it started, cross your fingers and hope it stays.

I've spent twice as much money owning the car as I did buying it. NEVER buy this car. Save yourself the time, money, and trauma. Everyone at work says what a nice car I have, meanwhile when they stick the key in their Toyota; at least it starts. One problem after another. Don't think to yourself "I'll just fix this and then that's it", because it's never just one thing. The problems with this car compound themselves one after the other.

This car is demoralizing to OWN. The only thing that ever made me feel good was looking at the car. Normally when people look at your car when you're driving down the road, it's because they are admiring your ride. In my case they are wondering why that Jag is making so much NOISE!!! DON'T BUY THIS CAR.

Review Date: 8th April, 2011

9th Apr 2011, 13:32

Your comments are the truth and the normal ownership experience.

European cars of all makes are not known for reliability. I know, I repair them daily. They are GOOD for business!

Most in for repair are BMW, Mercedes, then Jag.

Why people keep buying them... I'll never know... or I should say... they don't know... they must buy on looks, as they do look good.

2001 Jaguar S-Type SE 3.0 Litre petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 3.0 Litre petrol Automatic
Previous carHolden Commodore

Summary:

A very nice car, and a joy to drive

The remote key sometimes doesn't work, and has been like that since I bought the car.

General Comments:

The car had done approximately 100,000 kilometres when I bought it in showroom condition, and I've kept it that way.

I knew the car, and I'm stunned at reports from others regarding their problems. This car has been flawless (No, I don't work for Jaguar.) and still is apart from the remote key. I find the car very comfortable and quiet with plenty of zip when I need it.

The other reports have me worried, but I'm sure there must be plenty of S-type owners out there who have had no trouble. Why do we only hear from the owners with problems?

Review Date: 25th September, 2010

2001 Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 from France

Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Cougar

Summary:

Worst car I ever had..

Front electric window motor broke after 1 week.

Front wheel default after 6 months.

Rain detector broke after 1 year.

Driver seat broke after 2 years.

Jaguar Cars Europe took 4 months (!!!) to provide spare parts.

General Comments:

Supposed to be a luxury car... Well, powerful engine for sure, nice interior, but reliability is a shame for the price.

- Service is awfully expensive.

- Rain detector is not efficient.

- Electrochromic mirrors are not satisfying.

- Heating / Clim takes hours to work.

- Steering is much too sensible.

Handling is a nightmare, this car is DANGEROUS on wet / snowy roads.

I damaged the trunk, and during 4 month (!!!) I stayed without a replacement car, hearing only from Jaguar France "Sorry, part not available yet, we'll keep you in touch... We cannot provide you any courtesy car. Please consider renting any".

4 month without a car... I almost lost my job after paying SOOO much for purchase and service.

I will NEVER buy this crappy brand again, and I'm considering law procedures against them.

Review Date: 29th January, 2010

2001 Jaguar S-Type from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carToyota Landcruiser

Summary:

Nightmare

The heater and A/C never work, just like everyone says.

Anytime I go over a bump, it sounds like the bottom is going to fall out.

The window motor broke.

General Comments:

I am scared to DEATH. I cannot afford a new car or to even repair this one. My kids talked me into buying it and I wish I bought the used Toyota I wanted. You can't kill a Toyota if you try.

To make matter worse, like everyone else says, the local dealer is the most HORRIFIC place to go to for repairs. They are just plain rude and uncaring.

In continuum with other comments, this was a dream car for me and it has become a nightmare.

I am all for the class action lawsuit that was mentioned by someone else. Let's go for it. The makers of the car don't care that we are all having the same problems.

Review Date: 4th November, 2009

5th Nov 2009, 17:17

Shouldn't have listened to the kids. They wanna be seen by their friends in a flashy car, but Mom just needed a reliable one, am I right? If you buy a Jaguar, be prepared to pay for a Jaguar.. that is if you can't afford high-priced repairs then maybe a higher-end luxury car isn't for you. And if a seller offers it to you cheap, that's a red flag. Sounds like Toyota would be a more sensible choice, and if the kids wanna complain, let 'em. LOL.

BTW if ya gotta pamper yourself, a used Lexus may be a less expensive way to go in the long run since they're made by Toyota as well, better reliability. Just my 2 cents..