1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas Reviews

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas X308 V8 from North America

Engine and transmission V8 Automatic

RE: Flooding conditions and cylinder wall cracking issues. I had this problem 3 times and learned a "Pre-notice" Bulletin was being issued 1/20/03. VandenPlas engine had gone to a titanium lined cylinder for weight reduction. The metal proved too rigid and would not expand and contract at proper metallurgical rates and resulted in microscopic cracks that caused flooding and other downstream conditions. Replacing plugs and adjusting compression was the fix. Jaguar approved engine replacement in spring 2003, N/C.

Once my new engine installed 3/03 at 46,000 miles, have had no problems of that nature.

General Comments:

I love the car, have 124,000 miles and still get 23mpg on long trips! Will retire soon and probably sell it.

Review Date: 9th October, 2009

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas VDP 4.0 from North America

Previous carFord F150

Summary:

I love my Jag, but I wish the hub caps would stay on

Hub caps fall off no matter what the glue is.

Airbag light on (bad seat sensor).

Rear view mirror (liquid bad).

Have to add 6 oz. coolant to fill the tank every six months.

Do not !! Do not !! Ever wash this engine off with water. Only wipe off with damp rag. Water will run into sparkpug holes and short out the ignition. Take off spark plug covers and blow out water with air compressor. Then it will start.

General Comments:

It rides like a floating cloud (nice ride).

4.0 engine does not use any oil at 99,000 miles! I can't say that for my old F-150 at 2 quarts!

Rear doors squeaky on rough roads.

No engine problems so far at 99,000 miles engine runs very well. Super unleaded only !!

I have never had so many people come up to me and tell me what a nice Jag you have!!

Windshield wiper arm is easy to hit when starting, and can be turned on while turning steering wheel.

Review Date: 16th September, 2009

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas from North America

Previous carJaguar X-Type

I am a 52 y/o male PhD educated professional. I am the second owner of this car; miles on it when I bought it were highway miles. I have driven this car hard, locally and cross country, and have been very satisfied with it. Jaguar is a finicky car and requires constant attention to detail, and you must fix the little things or they will become big things. These are the only surprises I have had from the car (I always use premium gas, and full synthetic oil changed every 3,000 miles) :

The 100,000 mile scheduled service caught me a little off guard -- almost $2500.

The thermostat housing (ironically made of molded plastic) shattered -- only an $85 repair, but in the shop for two days.

I had to replace the fuel pump recently -- of course it is located in the gas tank -- that was an unexpected $850 repair, but completed within 36 hours.

The car runs and looks great, especially for a 1999. It is detailed once a month, and I am very happy with the car. I have read a lot of the comments, and have to wonder two things: are the vehicles being properly maintained, and is it possible that there are 'bad' Jaguars just as there are bad models of everything? I would buy another one just like mine tomorrow. They are not cheap to operate, but they look and perform like a precision vehicle. If you want higher reliability and cheaper operating costs, buy a cheaper "run of the mill" car.

JLS.

Review Date: 1st August, 2009

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas from North America

Previous carCadillac Allante

Summary:

Vrrrrrrmmmm

I bought my 1999 Vanden Plas in 2003 with 50k miles on it. It was just what I was looking for. I shopped on the Internet for 6 months and it finally appeared. I flew to L.A. from Reno, NV and drove it home. Once I hit the desert, I opened it up to @ 155mph. That's the last time I drove it that fast.

Overall the car has been good to me. This is my third Jag, so I expected to have some sort of extra problems involved with it.

There was a problem with an oil leak covered by warranty.

At 80,000 miles the timing chain clips malfunctioned and the limited performance light came on. I drove it home in limp home mode and called the dealer in Sacramento who told me to have it towed in and the bill would be $3,000. I took it to the local guy who works on jags and he charged $1700.00 A couple of months later a rear wheel bearing went out. $1300.00. That's it.

All told, this is a great car. My clients are always impressed, the ladies love it and it's all paid for. I am a happy camper. I must admit that I don't drive it in the snow.

It's now 10 years old with 85,000 miles. It's got custom 20 inch wheels and Z rated tires, other than that it is and will remain stock. If you can find one used that has been treated right. Buy it.

Jim Elliott Reno, NV.

Review Date: 15th January, 2009

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas VDP 4.0L V8 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L V8 Automatic
Previous carJaguar Vanden Plas

Summary:

Great car, overall!

Switch on driver's seat broken. Minor thing, but so far impossible to repair without maximum costs.

General Comments:

I have read so many negative comments, I had to add a positive one. I drove a 1995 VDP prior to buying this 1999 VDP. Yes, regular and correct maintenance is necessary and is more expensive than most vehicles. But they don't take the space shuttle to the local garage for engine work, do they? I am totally pleased with the cars I have owned that were made by Jaguar. It is fast, powerful and handles like a true sports car, but rides like a luxury car should. Something might happen tomorrow that changes my mind, but until then, I am just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Review Date: 5th August, 2007