1990 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign 4.0 from UK and Ireland

Luxurious, fast, comfortable bargain

Apart from existing faults, little or nothing.

Radio Died.

Rear door central locking becoming intermittent.

Fan belt broke.

General Comments:

Excellent, easy car to drive.

Very comfortable - however front headrests do not adjust, so comfort could be improved.

100% reliable.

Scare stories largly unjustified, this example was at bargain basement price yet soldiers on perfectly.

Review Date: 4th February, 2003

5th Feb 2003, 08:01

Oops this review should read that I bought it in 2001.

25th Oct 2010, 16:04

Would those unfortunate enough to have a significant number of problems with their XJ40 Sov, (MY July 1990 onwards), please confirm the mileage/kilometers the car has traveled. This makes a BIG difference to the reliability of the Jag.

Michael P

1990 Jaguar XJ40 soveriegn 4 litre from UK and Ireland

A lot of car for little money, but expensive to keep going

I bought the car in the u.k. for £900 (was £1350) needed a new sub frame and a couple of tyres for the mot. Got the subframe done for £150 (labour) Tyres are something else, cheapest I could find was £135.00 each.

A couple of faults with the heater blowers not working, needed a new control unit which came with the car.

Now everything is sorted it seems fine! hope to hell it doesn't go wrong again too quickly.

General Comments:

It is a lot of car got the money, but is expensive to run and maitain. I have had two jaguars in the past and once you've had one, you want another one!

Performance is good for a car this size, and it handles well too, be careful in the wet though.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2002

2nd Sep 2002, 12:44

I just got 2 nearly new Dunlops for £60 each. Just shop around a bit!!

1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0 from F.Y.R.O. Macedonia

The best ride I have ever had

Bulb failure indicator loves to stay on all the time now despite thorough bulbs checks.

Head gasket only just blown - two days ago. From what I have read, this is a very common occurrence and it appears I have been lucky to get to 170000 miles.

Central locking is now starting to be less than 100% with the drivers door not working on auto at all. The rear doors operate 90% of the time.

The car loves oil like I used to love vodka, but then hey, the car is just having a good time!

General Comments:

I drive a Jag, love the marque and always have done ever since I was a kid (33 years old now). The running costs are well worth it for the comfort and complete lack of road rage - avoid me if you see me in my Mondeo!!!

Review Date: 20th January, 2002

1990 Jaguar XJ40 4.0 from UK and Ireland

Headlight module failed both sides - repaired myself.

Head gasket failed (common) repaired myself but very difficult.

Car radio aerial seized - new one fitted.

Rear Axle A frame bearing worn - replaced by exchange unit.

ABS warning light kept coming on but traced to a duff battery!!

Rear brake caliper ceased.

General Comments:

A really great car with pace and grace. Great for long distances if you can afford the cost to fill the petrol tank (£60). Very well engineered but electrics are a nightmare being very complex - not for the faint hearted. Very reliable and a massive improvement on the older Series 1, 2 and 3.

Review Date: 22nd August, 1999

21st Apr 2001, 20:13

I own a late 1988 XJ40. I have had a few small problems like the bulb failure light staying on, Door handle and power locks not working properly. Beside those minor problem I love this Jaguar. The 3.6l has plenty of get and go, the ride is like no other. I have a total of $8700 in this car, counting repairs. I could have bought a nice Focus or Yugo but What can I say I own A Jaguar. Blake Blankenship.