1994 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign 4.0 from Lithuania

Summary:

Yes... name, beauty, history... but just as second car in my garage

Air flow meter (got it very cheap, a used one).

Oil pressure meter (oil started to leak from it, got it used, a very very cheap used one. New; would have to wait for three weeks).

Now reductor is leaking, rear ball bearing needs to be replaced, same rubber parts in suspension need to be replaced.

All electronics are still working.

It has quality new paint finish, done before I bought it, I have done rust prevention under the body... but it rusts everywhere it is not protected. And rusts to holes... it is so sad... such a beautiful car...

General Comments:

It is very beautiful car. That is why I bought it, as a second car. But now I use it every day. Because I have sold my first one.

It uses not much fuel for 4.0 engine. 14-16 l/100km in town, and 8-9 in highways. But it is expensive for me for every day use. Fuel costs its own price every 10 000 km :)

Comfort is low for such a big car, performance is good enough. But with such stiff suspension, it is too little sporty but bumpy.

It is so much fun in snow, it slides slowly enough sideways, so I can do things I couldn't with my BMW, because it was unpredictable in some situations (tires may be). The Jag is big and slow in the corners if compared. It need stiffer suspension and better fuel economy, and rust rust rust....

I like the looks, but it drives like a very heavy car... automatic transmission is good I think, but I miss manual very much. I miss my tail happy BMW 318 ti with KONI adjustable shock absorbers.

Review Date: 1st April, 2010

1994 Jaguar XJ6 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Luxury, elegance, and sport packaged together on wheels!

So far the only trouble has been the wheel caps. Apparently, the wheel caps have a metal ring that holds them to the car. After 15 years those metal rings stop working. I have one missing. Other than that nothing had gone wrong since I got the car. It came with a pull to the right and a little shimmy at 80mph but other than that she is a dream.

General Comments:

Problems

I am a big dude - 6'4" and 280lbs... I don't fit that well in this car... my legs are too long and my head touches the ceiling.

This car is close to the ground. I went from a Honda Civic to this and this is closer to the ground than the Civic.

Good Stuff

Comfortable, fast, and pretty. I get comments all the time even though the Jag is 15 years old she is talked about everywhere I go.

This old car has sold me on Jags. I am saving my pennies to buy a newer model!

Like moving from a corner cafe to a five star restaurant.

Review Date: 20th March, 2008

26th Aug 2010, 06:14

Just remember to avoid the Ford V8 engines fitted to these Jags between 1998 and 2000/2001. They had Nikasil cylinder liners that used to wear out far too soon - e.g. after as little as 40,000 miles, resulting in a new engine having to be fitted.

6th Mar 2011, 13:53

Your car is a straight six definitely not a V6.

12th Aug 2011, 22:24

Amen to that!

1994 Jaguar XJ6 4.0L Sport 4.0L straight 6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Slicker than a greased up panther, but a lot more comfortable!

Noise from rear suspension- Sub-frame bushes replaced under warranty.

Slight oil leak from cylinder Head by engine number- Very common on these engines apparently.

General Comments:

I recently purchased my xj6 to satisfy a craving for an extremely powerful and comfortable saloon to replace my Rover 600.

My car is one of the very first x300 series and was used as a launch model. It is in truly outstanding condition inside and out and is a pleasure to look at and drive.

The car simply glides along despite the sport suspension setup and its cornering ability is very good despite its weight and size.

The torque of the revised 4.0L 6 is excellent and powers this huge car with ease. The 4.0L is much quicker from a standing start than the 3.2L models l tested- Acceleration at motorway speeds is exceptional.

I am currently averaging 25mpg in mixed driving conditions, although 30mpg is possible on longer runs. Insurance is much cheaper than l expected- only 37 GBP more per year than my Rover.

The best thing about this car is the way it makes me feel- To me that is more important than 0-60! You don't need to abuse this car to feel good.

The interior has an unmistakable British feel and exudes character that its German rivals could only dream about. It also seems to appeal to people of all ages which can only be a good thing.

The only negative aspect of the car is that interior space is rather limited.

Overall l find the Xj6 sport a fabulous car- l have always wanted one and it lives up to my expectations!

Review Date: 21st October, 2007

31st Oct 2007, 06:19

Very good review, informative, but to the point!