2004 Jaguar XJ8 X350 from Australia and New Zealand - Comments

12th May 2009, 14:18

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Jag. If you paid well under brand new for the car, then you're still ahead. Nothing you can do about depreciation, it's now a matter of how well the car serves you onwards.

Don't bother with a Singapore-import car unless it's only two or three years old -- Singapore imported European cars in New Zealand don't fare very well, the electrics get problems, like some melted wiring loom, because of the heat in Singapore.

Perhaps just go to AA Wreckers in Onehunga or a specialist Jag one, check to see if they have any boot lids with the European plate area, and just get it painted. Cheaper than depreciation.

Keep us posted. Lovely car, but I reckon the reason people buy German vs. Jag is Jag's sinister reputation for unreliability and expensive parts.

24th Jun 2009, 00:39

Have just exceeded 100,000 miles and am off the Select Warranty on a 2004 XJR.

Have grown used to it not costing me a penny.

How will that sealed transmission last for the NEXT 100000 miles? And the supercharged 4.2 V8?

Anything else to worry about? Still don't want it to cost me a penny.

David.

26th Jan 2010, 14:11

Many owners on the forums do change the oil on that "sealed for life" gearbox. In the UK there are some (mostly independent I believe) Jaguar specialist garages who can do this.

The general opinion is that you can really extend the life of the gearbox by getting an oil change done every 75k or so.

31st Mar 2010, 15:49

Owner's update:

The Jag did something really stupid the other day. The battery (which is six years old) ran flat in a couple of hours when the key was left on accessory, and when I went to charge it, I found myself locked out of the boot - it has an electronic lock! Now you would expect the key operated lock on the boot was mechanical, but no, it is simply another switch for the electronic lock! So to get at the battery, I had to open the bonnet, put a charger cable on the starter fuse, unscrew the front plastic bit and put the earth cable on the earth screw for the headlights - because it is so full of plastic there were no other earths available! - and use the power from that to open the boot, so I could charge the battery. What a muck around! I would not expect this from Jaguar these days.

Other than that the car is running perfectly. I have done only 5000km since the last update.

30th May 2010, 05:08

Sorry to disagree, but the key lock underneath the leading edge of the boot lid is only mechanical. Get it checked; maybe it's broken - I have used mine to open the boot when there has been NO battery fitted! Agree these are lovely cars.

28th Oct 2010, 05:38

I'm from NZ too, and have seen a lovely 3 litre XJ6 on Trade-Me. The only problem is that it is from Singapore. We had an X-type from Singapore 2 cars ago, and it had trouble with brittle plastics - adjusting a headlamp caused all the internals to fracture, and I couldn't get a warrant of fitness! I have heard wiring looms can be a problem on Singaporean exports - what do I look for?

Thanks, Ray.

6th Mar 2012, 02:57

My English is not good enough yet: what is cut and polish?

The depreciation is just helpful. Patience pays out. I now have seen in Holland an 03 XJ8, with neglectible cosmetic blemishes (old man didn't know how to park the monster) for EUR5000. Guess what: in the classic racing green! Others are crazy about silver for this Jag, yet I am a traditionalist, and racing green suits this car so well...

6th Jan 2013, 14:12

The same happened to me with nothing working and the boot locked. AA (GB) called in and they did not know how to open the boot until I said I had noticed what appeared to be a manual lock just over the rear number plate. Ignition key used, and hey presto it opened. Boosted and all sorted.

Very pleased with car - it's my third Jag in a row and the best yet, but surging seems to be a problem at 1200 - 1600 revs, but this seems to go after a short while.

Had it into the Jaguar specialists and they flashed something and it was OK for a bit, then it has returned. A specialist firm dealing with gear box/torque converters said they could sort it out quickly if I take it in for another re-flash.

14th May 2013, 11:11

Just wondering if you sorted the surging issue? Just that I am going through the same issues with a Jag XJ Sport 2003, and currently contemplating a gearbox oil change as a software update at a Jag specialist didn't work.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as I can see this getting very expensive!

Add another comment