1992 Jaguar XJS Reviews

Model year1992
Year of manufacture1992
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 5.3 V12 Automatic

Summary:

Addictive... Owning a mechanically sound, and fine looking example, is very rewarding

"It ain't the miles, it's the years".

Not much has gone wrong with this car.. and what has is due to chronological time and age.. not high mileage or due to abuse.

The steering rack was leaking at the "tower/input seal". Strange thing is, it only leaked during engine warm-up. Once operating temperature was reached, or near... it stopped leaking. I was aware of this upon purchase of the car. I replaced the rack anyway, and the P/S cooler.. as the drip of power steering fluid was burning off on the drivers side forward catalytic converter.

One rear brake caliper was leaking as a result of piston seal failure, apparently the caliper's rubber seals are prone to heat exposure, from close proximity to the exhaust pipes.

Fuel feed line (rubber half) to the fuel rail was cracked and had splits. Again, another rubber part that suffered from old age, and heat exposure. Replaced it.. Dealer part.. $95.00.

General Comments:

The Jaguar XJS is of superior build quality, and craftsmanship. It has a handbuilt, and personalized feel to it, as if it were built for me...The XJS handles very well for a car it's size and weight. However it's a touring roadster, not a dedicated sports/race car, so navigating hairpin turns at high speed, is definitely not recommended...

The interior for me is a little cramped. At 6'0" 230LBS it's understandable. It's better with the convertible top down. If you have wide feet, it will almost feel like your right foot is sharing the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time. The more I drive this car, the more I get used to/accept its quirks...

The 5.3 V12 is a marvel of engineering. It is a pedigree, intensely smooth, powerful, and high torque. All it asks is proper care and maintenance.

Extra attention should be given to the V12 cooling system. It's hot blooded as a result of a lot of engine crammed in a tight space. Cooling system condition is paramount in this car. Keep it working at 100% efficiency... no less. Parts and labor, can be expensive for the XJS V12. I've learned as much as I could, to aid me in doing my own repairs.

Review Date: 11th November, 2009

1992 Jaguar XJS V12 5.3 V12 petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission 5.3 V12 petrol

Fractured oil cooler (£300).

Radiator blocked (£400).

V12 has a tendancy to run hot so I am told but not a problem for me now with new radiator.

General Comments:

Unleaded + twin cats. Not as thirsty as one might think. I average 17.5 mpg on a tankful and 20-21 on a run.

Have just obtained ridiculously cheap insurance (£237 fully comp) via Jaguar Drivers Club.

The buzz from this car is worth every penny it costs to run.

Review Date: 23rd October, 1999

13th Aug 2001, 12:33

Noted, however even after tuning my XJS V12 I never managed more than 15 mpg, which is ridiculous.

3rd Feb 2003, 15:23

Greetings.

I recently purchased a 1984 Jaguar XJS H.E. for $1,500.US, here in California. Aside from a few cosmetic issues, the car is in very solid mechanical condition and drives quite well. I have scheduled a complete service for this week. There is a very subtle miss at idle and I suspect that it is the ignition amplifier (original Lucas) from what I have read on the subject. The car, so far, is a real dream. I don't imagine that there is a much better bargain in a true super car to be found. I will admit, however, that the topside of the engine is a daunting mess of equipment. Just getting at the spark plugs looks like an ugly couple of hours. Regardless, I'm up for the challenge and, best of all, my wife loves it as well. Cheers to all!

Josh.

25th Jun 2010, 16:26

Hi there, I've just bought a 1989 (21 year old) XJS 5.3 V12 Convertible. I collect it in 3 days after it is serviced and MOT'd. It's gonna be a Sunday cruiser, so I don't care what it does to the gallon. I'll let you all know how I get on! E.