1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 18 of 18

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 liter I6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2001
Engine and transmission 4.0 liter I6 Automatic

Summary:

One kick ass SUV!!

Up until a few weeks ago, nothing at all. I had been driving it since I had gotten it for about 7 months. I put about 10,000 miles on it. Then all of a sudden out of the blue, the Jeep starts to stutter on me when I stop and then trys to accelerate quickly. It even stalled on me twice. I took it to the dealer who said it was the fuel pump or the fuel filter (on the 97' and up they are the same unit). I had also purchased the added care warranty from the dealer so it was covered. All I had to pay was the $100 deductable. After that it has been running fine ever since.

General Comments:

Other than the fuel pump problem, the SUV has been performing wonderfully. The 4wd is great in the snow and it is good off road too.

I love this Jeep and would definitely buy another one. I like the body style better than any other SUV on the market.

Review Date: 15th January, 2001

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 litre from North America

Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 4.0 litre Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Beretta GTU

Summary:

The best on the highway!

Nothing has gone wrong.

General Comments:

This is the greatest SUV made, you can't take a Navigator where you can take a Jeep. The Ford's interior is ridiculous, the Japanese models are too top heavy and I can't say much for the Blazer, I don't care for the looks at all though.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2000

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 liter from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 5.2 liter Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Best car ever owned

Nothing has gone wrong with my Jeep.

General Comments:

Third Jeep product I have owned. The best SUV to own if you intend to actually offroad.

Review Date: 7th September, 2000

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0/190hp from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0/190hp

I have 30,000 miles on this car and most are highway miles but in the last 5,000 miles I have had it in the shop twice getting the brake rotors planed and pads replaced. I have spent more that $600 (US) on brake service in the last few months. That seems to be pretty high for a $29,000 vehicle. Even the dealership says "something is not right".

General Comments:

I have owned 2 Jeep Wranglers in the past seven years and neither one gave me any problems at all. They were the most durable and reliable vehicles I have ever owned, they also had a very high resale rate. I only wish I could say the same about my other Jeep product.

Review Date: 31st January, 1999

28th Dec 2010, 21:14

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people will take their cars to a DEALERSHIP for maintenance once the warranty is out. Keep putting crappy rotors on a car at a ridiculous hourly rate, and they will keep warping and costing you money.

Buy premium parts from Autozone/Parts America/etc and change them yourself, and you'll only need to change them every 3 years, and the parts will be free.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado 4.0L 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L 6 cylinder

Nothing at all. When rear 40/60 seats are in the carrier position, there are un-locatable rattles emitting from the rear of the luggage area.

General Comments:

Magnificent automobile. First American car I have owned since a 1980 Chev Citation.

Review Date: 16th June, 1998

4th Jul 2004, 12:20

The rattle may be coming from the exhaust system? When you split down the 60/40 seats are you carrying a load in the trunk? If so, I found in my Jeep that the load will push down and the exhaust system which is free floating will sometime touch the undercarriage of the vehicle making slight rattling sounds. I went to a reputable muffler shop and had them correct the problem.