2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 from North America

You would be much better off with a Kia

- Rear driveshaft replaced at 90,000kms.

- Front diff rebuilt under warranty (3 times) at 90,000kms.

- Rear diff rebuilt under warranty (4 times) at 90,000kms.

The differential is still making a noise, although the dealership says it's normal. Installed a catback exhaust system to attenuate the high pitched noise. Chrysler Canada was of little help and refused to fix it.

- Inner and outer tie-rods at 110,000kms.

- Shocks (2 blown) at 110,000kms.

- Brakes at 110,000kms (surprisingly original, so the brakes are fairly decent in this vehicle, no complaints).

- Transmission return line and cooler line leak $500 fix at 115,000kms.

- Starter at 127,000kms.

- E-Brake at 127,000kms.

- EGR valve at 127,000kms (vehicle stalls for no apparent reason at least once every week... dealership could not fix as the problem is intermittent... possible cause according to others could be the EGR valve).

- Navigation joystick repair at ~110,000kms.

General Comments:

In all honesty, this Jeep is the worst vehicle I ever owned as far as reliability goes. The warranty was also non existent for me.

I got the Jeep from a Jeep dealership with a knocking driveshaft. Little did I know that the Jeep also had differential issues. It was "fixed" by the dealership although there is still a loud high pitch noise at speed, which Chrysler Canada refused to fix. I was told that if I want to see this problem fixed, I would have to "pay for it myself". Talk about warranty!

I have replaced everything by now; starter, battery, tie-rods, shocks, etc. So far with all receipts, I have spent $5000 in maintenance and still going.

The Jeep is a pleasure to drive though, and has many nice features. I would trade the features any time for a reliable vehicle that doesn't leave me stranded though.

Review Date: 16th April, 2010

16th Apr 2010, 14:47

Sorry to hear about your SUV and its problems. I've had a colleague get his 1500 rearend re-built by Dodge before the Big-3 money woes occurred. Now, I doubt Chrysler will honour any serious warranty work. I think doing a tune-up on the Hemi requires two plugs per cylinder and a new coil pack too.

29th May 2013, 08:33

Actually I would say those life limits for those parts is quite an acceptable level. At the end of the day, these are consumable items, which on all vehicles, have to be replaced.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L V6 from North America

Lovely looking repair-pig

1st week of ownership, "check engine" light came on, dealer diagnosed "transmission malfunction" (unable to figure out what problem is).

Tires constantly blowing out side-walls, still have good tread wear left.

Drove vehicle about 5 miles, would not start 5 minutes later, flickered "service elec. brake sys." on info center, needed new battery.

Pulsing, surging, odd shifts, vibration from transmission, may be torque converter failing, $1200 to fix...

Had to re-place brake pads & rotors 2 times in 30k miles.

General Comments:

I love the design of this year of Grand Cherokee, plenty of power for a v-6, always get compliments on it, I have taken it through almost a foot of snow, dragging bumpers, under-carriage & never spun out, or got stuck!

I love the Boston sound system, ultra crisp sound.

Quiet, smooth ride.

Over-all I like this vehicle, except she does like expensive parts, wish it were like my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo, over 245,000 miles & still going, only needed regular oil changes, brakes & tires...

Review Date: 16th October, 2009

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi 5.7 from North America

Love it, and would not trade it for the world

Idle control sensor went bad, but was still drivable, but not on the highway.

General Comments:

Very powerful engine, takes off on the drop of a dime with stock parts. Could be better on gas, but it's a give and take thing.

Review Date: 6th May, 2009

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7 V6 from North America

Don't buy the '05 or up Cherokee

Had to replace the water pump and alternator.

Had a short in starter wiring.

General Comments:

The car is nice, but I hate the new WK design. First off; the WK is a lot smaller than the WJ design from before. The door jams are shorter. I'm 5'6" which isn't really tall, and I have to duck drastically to get into the vehicle, or I hit my head. My wife has too also and she's only 5'3".

The 3.7 v-6 in the Laredo (which I have) is too small and sluggish for the Cherokee. I have to floor it and slightly release the accelerator for it to pick up speed. It also gets very bad gas mileage.

I used to think that it road like cow dung. Since I bought it used; it had the original tires (Terrible Goodyears) and the side-walls were all rounded over, and were starting to thunk. I also had an alignment done on it. Now it rides smooth and straight.

There is also a lot of blind spots in this car.

Review Date: 26th July, 2008

1st Apr 2011, 18:03

Are you talking about a Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee? You are 5'-6" and the car is not big enough for you? Performance 3/10. Are you here just to make Jeep look bad?

21st Feb 2012, 21:58

He's talking about the Grand Cherokee... Are you getting all upset because he states his own experience with a Jeep that constantly receives negative and poor reliability reviews? C'mon dude, Jeep failed with all their designs and cheap interiors between 05-10.