5th May 2014, 11:49

I have a 1996 Jeep G.C. Laredo with 196000 miles. When first taking off, it seems OK, but sometimes (not every time) it acts as though it is in neutral when I accelerate; it doesn't go over 10 mph. I place it in park or move it to every gear, and then it will go. Please help!!!

16th Jun 2014, 18:08

I had the same problem. Mine would start off fine, then it wouldn't shift, or it would start off slow, and then run fine when I got going. I am still looking for an answer. I heard the TCM is probably it, but is there any way to make sure before I just keep buying parts?

28th Jun 2014, 04:24

I am having problems with my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L; it will not go in reverse. Does anyone have any idea on what may be causing the issue?

30th Jul 2014, 18:32

I have the same problem... no reverse! Everything else seems fine!

27th Sep 2014, 03:13

I also have a 96 Grand Cherokee. Limited 5.2L.

Sometimes from a dead stop it will act as if it were in neutral. Rev up to around 2k RPM and let off, and it will go into gear, then repeat the process for 2nd. Sometimes it does fine. I removed the pan, replaced the filter and gasket, and added Lucas Oil trans fluid. Did not fix it. There was no metal in the pan when removed. Reverse seems to work fine every time.

11th Oct 2014, 14:16

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Automatic. Everything works fine, but the reverse is really weak. The tranny fluid is topped up. All the linkage is intact and moving freely. 4x4 works just fine and shifts no problem. Any input would be helpful before I rip out the tranny and get a new one.

5th Nov 2014, 18:49

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4. I am having a few transmission problems. When I first go to take off, it will not shift out of 1st gear till it hits 4500 RPM. It then shifts to 3rd (skips 2nd). But if I let the vehicle warm up before I take off, it takes off in 3rd. Which I believe is called limp mode. Any suggestions?

13th Nov 2014, 21:47

I have my Jeep Laredo. The transmission never changes. I run it in 1, and it never changes to 2 or 3. Please help me.

4th Jan 2015, 03:16

Noticed my dipstick was 3/4 out. Taped it down and it shifts fine now. Can even feel a better throttle response. Thanks man.

8th Mar 2015, 20:25

The shift solenoids are sticking and need to be replaced at a transmission shop. Approx. $300.

8th Mar 2015, 20:29

It is a neutral safety switch or NSS module that controls the shifting.

8th Mar 2015, 20:32

Shift solenoids are common problems with this tranny.

12th Apr 2015, 00:54

I have a 96 Limited Grand Cherokee. It will not shift in Drive, but will shift from first to second and does not slip at all! Someone told me it is in safe mode! Is that true, and if so, how do I fix it?

25th May 2015, 17:45

Did this solve your problem? And if so, where is all of it located on the Jeep so I can do it myself? Thanks in advance!

30th May 2015, 16:02

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. Had about 215,000 miles. Fixed a transmission seal leak. The next day, suddenly, the transmission is not wanting to go into 3rd and produces a whining noise. If I turn it off and restart, it acts right for a few minutes. Suggestions?

12th Jul 2015, 12:20

Lock the doors first, then use the ignition key to unlock the driver's door or the hatch. I have had this problem many times, and this seems to work. If it doesn't, then the security system is at fault; unhook it and it will fix the problem.

29th Nov 2015, 22:20

I have a 96 Grand Cherokee Laredo. In park, no noise, in reverse, drive and neutral it makes a loud noise like something is tapping or hitting it inside?

11th Jan 2016, 05:51

I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and it seems to slip when going into 2nd gear when cold. I have a line that leaks in the front by radiator; my husband never replaced it; said when it becomes a problem we will deal with it. Well I am going through a divorce and cannot really afford to pay. Any suggestions I can try before taking it to a shop?

1st Feb 2016, 01:29

I am having the same problem with my Jeep; it will shift with the gear shift, but the vehicle will not move. Can you help me?

3rd Feb 2016, 11:28

My 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is doing the same thing! I guess I've tried everything else and must admit I need to save for new transmission... sigh.

25th Jul 2016, 07:12

1997 Jeep Laredo won't go in reverse. Everything else works fine. My 97 Crown Vic was doing the same thing and I changed the torque converter; could this be the same problem??

26th Aug 2016, 23:23

I'm going thru the same thing with my 97. First it started whining really bad while the oil was cold. When it warmed up the noise got better. It gradually got worse and worse. After changing the fluid and filter, the noise went away. However it is now either stuck in limp mode or I have a solenoid and sensor out in the tranny. I have reset my computer and am going to try it out as we speak. If you know anything I have failed to mention that might help, I would appreciate the advice.

21st Sep 2016, 22:17

In an earlier comment several people had the exact same problem. It's not your trans but some kind of sensor. Go check out the comments; it's an easy fix they said though.