23rd Apr 2010, 12:38

I have 1977 J10. I was wondering how you go about telling if it is 401 or a 360? I have been told both. Still don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

KellyB.

28th Apr 2010, 23:11

Regarding the question of whether you have a 360 cu in or 401 cu in engine.

Go to this website: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/vin_72-80.htm

It has an explanation of the Jeep VIN numbers. With it, you should be able to figure out what engine you have.

9th Aug 2010, 09:11

I have an 82 J10 and I'm trying to do a lift without buying new springs. I put 4" blocks in the back but I am running into problems on the front with the springs being on the bottom.

Any suggestions will help. Thanks.

1st Sep 2010, 09:21

Regarding 401 or 360, look on the side of the block, it will either have 401 or 360 stamped on it in big numbers, you can't miss it.

Vin checking is useful, but doesn't tell you if someone has swapped engines. My J20 is registered 401, but at some point someone put a 360 in it.

2nd Feb 2016, 19:08

Hello. I purchased a 1982 J10 258 4x4 from a friend of mine that bought it new. He cut a hole in the front corner floor of the box, completely covered the floor with grease, then a sheet of plywood bolted down. Every year he sprayed the underside of the truck with linseed oil. The result of this... Today the truck has absolutely zero rust. When I removed the plywood I was able to undo the nuts/bolts by hand. He rebuilt the 258 and most parts are painted. I bought a new starter, fuel pump, alternator and carb kit. Runs like a top! Buying new tires, exhaust, windshield and fixing tail lights, then taking this awesome truck in for a safety. I wanted this truck since the day he bought it. I was 14, and now it's mine! :)