2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport Extreme 4.0 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Character in a sea of sameness

Had an odd stalling issue them soon after the battery died. Hasn't happened since.

Blower fan only works on two speeds, but no big deal

General Comments:

My Jeep came with loads of good gear such as hard & soft tops, two inch lift, alloys, Warn front & rear bars, full roof rack (bolted to body) & loads more. Have since fitted many other bits including full K&N filter kit, CB radio, work light & loads more.

My Jeep (Thunder Bug) has been a sturdy companion. For many, this would be an awful on road vehicle, but I find it fun as it's not a 'sit in & point' type vehicle. Steering is vague, brakes so-so, gearbox lumpy. But it all adds to the character & a reason I couldn't ever sell it. Plus I have an MG ZT-T for when I'm in the mood for an easy drive. I think a Wrangler is best appreciated if you have another car to share the load.

Love the Meccano type construction; everything is easy to get to & understand. Tough, simple & rugged. I do laugh when I hear complaints of fuel & maintenance costs. One guy I know of sold after 3 months due to high fuel consumption; don't these people do a budget before buying a car?

Review Date: 14th December, 2012

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L AMC inline six from North America

Summary:

A real SUV that others try to be like

Windshield motor squealed badly at less than 1000 miles after purchase.

Stock tires are a joke. Replaced with BFG All-Terrains followed by Cooper STT tires.

I should have gotten A/C and the heavier rear axle. The Dana44 is good for larger tires and I don't plan on going larger than 31" because it's a daily driver. A/C is for when I leave Alaska.

Rust on full metal doors near window flame = painted on a Monday with a hangover?

No oil pan skid plate.

Like all REAL Jeeps, the windshield is a catchers mitt for stones and the Wrangler is as aerodynamic as a brick.

Driver's floor mat shot in less than 5 years.

Too easy to change the spark plugs and there's no distributor:)

General Comments:

This is a super vehicle! Far better than that plastic Wrangler with 4 doors and mini-van motor known to me as the JoKe/JK. This TJ Sport I'm blessed with has metal bumpers, an AMC in line six (torque at lower RPMs for better four-wheelin'), 31" Cooper STT tires with a limited slip in the rear and an Aussie locker in the front (had help with it's installation).

The only fault I can find with the thing is that it needs a supercharger and A/C along with an oil pan skid plate.

All-in-all, a good buy on the market and the 2003 to 2006 Wrangler is the one to get because of interior refinements, better mirrors and hardtop and the Rubicon package and IT'S METAL.

It's nice having a stick shift with cruise control: what a concept!

Review Date: 28th May, 2008

2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L AMC Inline six from North America

Summary:

A real SUV in a plastik world

Windshield wiper motor when kaput when it first got cold after snowing.

Had some warranty work done, but it was minor.

Chrysler made a big mistake getting rid of that AMC 4.0L inline six.

Hardtop does come loose after 3 years and causes rear window to rattle:|

General Comments:

Awesome!

The Jeep TJ is an icon and a real Jeep unlike that plastic Liberty and sorry 4 door JK (JoKe?).

For an everyday driver, don't go bigger than 31" tires because that's what the Rubicon came with.

I'm young and it's a perfect fit for me, and I'm thankful to God for letting me be steward of it.

The German's killed the Wrangler with that new JK with a mini-van engine that makes its power at higher RPM's that's useless for serious 4WD activity. That's their revenge for losing in WW2.

Get a TJ! Even a last model year ('95) YJ is good also.

Review Date: 9th May, 2008