2006 Jeep Wrangler SE 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Fun, but not a daily driver

Transmission rebuilt at approximately 49k miles.

Battery died about one week after purchase.

Rear window on the soft top became stuck, which damaged the zipper (I had to cut away part of the zipper to remove it).

Wobble at about 53mph, solved when I installed new pads/rotors.

General Comments:

My experience with this Wrangler was enjoyable and frustrating in equal measures. The first year I owned the Jeep it was great, then in about the space of a month it started falling apart on me. I was the second owner, and had the prior owner's maintenance records (done to Jeep's specs at the dealership), and I did all my own maintenance to Jeep's specs.

At around 49k the transmission clunked into gear. The dealership replaced the clutches and valve body. About a week and a half later, the transmission again clunked into gear. This time it was a "software issue" and the PCM was flashed. That said, I was told that the PCM would probably need replacement sooner than later. That day I traded in the Jeep for a budget box.

Taking this out to the desert and putting it into 4wd was great fun. I took it out to Death Valley (from San Diego, CA), twice, and took many, many trips out to the Anza-Borrego area. Never had any doubts about the Jeep, and she always ran fine.

The transmission never gave any indication of trouble (not uncommon, from what others have told me). I wanted to put some money and upgrades into this, but a rebuilt transmission and (possible) new PCM at 50k was more than I could accept as a normal Jeep "issue".

Gas mileage was unsurprisingly poor, about 17mpg. Acceleration was good, though mushy with overdrive on, I turned it off in mountainous terrain, though I know some people who always had it off. Brakes seemed weak and underpowered. Beefier upgrades are readily available for a significant amount of money. In fact, most aftermarket parts for the Jeep are extremely expensive, though solid and very well-built.

I can't say this has turned me off of Jeep forever (I had a Cherokee at one point with about 250k miles on it and never had a problem with it), but Jeep seems to have justly earned its reputation for poor quality and reliability -- at least in my experience.

Review Date: 17th July, 2010

19th Jul 2010, 06:31

"I can't say this has turned me off of Jeep forever (I had a Cherokee at one point with about 250K miles on it and never had a problem with it), but Jeep seems to have justly earned its reputation for poor quality and reliability -- at least in my experience."

Your Cherokee (Assuming it was a Cherokee as opposed to a Grand Cherokee) was an AMC design. Your 2006 Wrangler was a Chrysler design. Perhaps Chrysler designed Jeeps have earned the reputation for poor quality and reliability, but in my experience the AMC designed Jeeps are nearly bulletproof.

2006 Jeep Wrangler Utility 3.0 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

I love my Jeep

My steering wheel locking handle keeps unlocking on it's own. It unlocks and the wheel falls down while I am driving it. I brought it in to get tightened (I thought that is all they needed to do to fix it) and the dealer informed me that I needed a new steering column, and that I had to pay for it because my 3/30,000 expired 12/08.

After talking with him, I stated that this is not wear and tear, this is a safety defect and should be fixed by them.

I have been unsuccessful in getting it fixed at their expense, and in finding any recall for this problem.

General Comments:

I love my Jeep and I will keep it until it dies.

I just wish this defect was handled more professionally on their end.

Review Date: 7th March, 2009