2003 Kia Optima SE from North America

Summary:

Very impressive, solid car

It's early, but nothing yet.

General Comments:

Car gets great gas mileage and is a good travel car. The engine vibrates, but nothing to be done about that.

Review Date: 11th October, 2005

2003 Kia Optima from North America

Summary:

Care is fine, but warranty is useless!

Electrical problem within the harness. Our biggest concern is with KIA customer service. We had problems getting a recurring problem handled by our service department at the local dealership - later had a different dealership fix the problem and then addressed the problem with Customer service. They would not even speak to us about the problem and made a determination that was inconsistent with facts.

General Comments:

We had a problem that spanned a long period of time while our car was under warranty. Three times the car quit when being driven, but our local dealer misdiagnosed the problem. When we attempted to address the problems we'd been having with KIA's Customer Service department, they refused to discuss it with us or to take responsibility. Our local dealer, likewise, refused to accept responsibility for their inadequate handling of the problem.

Review Date: 9th June, 2005

14th Oct 2005, 09:08

WE have a 2001 Optima SE/V6 that keeps stalling or losing power while we are driving it. Could you please tell me what they diagnosed your problem to be? Our service department keeps telling use that it is caused by a loose gas cap.

21st Nov 2010, 10:16

These cars sometimes have problems with the crankshaft positioning sensor; may be your problem.

2003 Kia Optima EX 2.7 V6 from Korea

Summary:

Good value for the money

Call it driver error, but the bumpers have become scuffed and I really have been a careful driver. It seems the paint on the plastic bumpers is only as adhesive as the plastic allows. It's a shame since the overall cosmetics are appealing on the car.

General Comments:

The car is smooth as more expensive sedans. It handles nicely with good acceleration. One can speed unexpectedly because of the smooth and responsive handling. Although body roll does seem a bit much on turns, the car is stable and seems heavier than it may be.

Review Date: 1st March, 2005

2003 Kia Optima LX from North America

Summary:

Would never buy another one

After 6 months of ownership the mass solenoid had to be changed.

Not longer after that the airbags, steering column and a couple of other things had to be changed.

Just last week, the car continuously ran hot with the radiator being full.

General Comments:

It seems that the 10 year warranty is needed because there is always something broken.

On the same day that my car was towed in to the repair shop, the driver told me that this was the 3rd Optima he had towed in on that particular day.

Review Date: 21st July, 2004

18th Aug 2004, 21:17

I would have to agree with the comments on the Optima. Worst car I have ever had. 2001 is the year, when I bought it the first thing to go was the alternator, then the fuel pump. After that we had something wrong with spark plugs, power steering and then guess what, the alternator went out again. The guy in service told us that they had a problem with the Kia alternators and they just don't run well in the heat. I live in Vegas and that's a problem!

Currently the power windows are broken and I can't get my window up. Perfect timing we have the monsoons! I can get it to the shop, but they are backed up for days!!!

Great warranty just did not realize I would need it every 3000 miles or less. No joke!

2003 Kia Optima LX V-6 2.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

The Optima is equal to or better than Accord or Camry

Nothing.

General Comments:

I owned the 4 cylinder Prism for 6 years and traded it at 100k for the 2002 Optima with its V-6 since I wanted more power this time around. The car handles really well overall and the performance is solid. I like the car's looks inside and outside plus it is very comfortable to drive in due to the seats and driver's position.

Review Date: 18th May, 2004