2008 Kia Rio EX 1.6 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car, strong engine, efficient

So far nothing.

General Comments:

I actually didn't want to buy this car. But the car sold itself.

Firstly, it's efficient. I get roughly 7~8 l/100kms, depending on how much I'm hammering it.

I keep trying to find its weak points. I live around the Adelaide hills and do flat driving as well. It pulls up some of our steepest roads quite happily in 4th. I've never had a four cylinder car do that. Always had to shift down to 3rd, or 2nd.

Cornering? It stays solid to the road on the corners. I'm not trying to push its limits, but I know I can corner harder in this car than others I've owned.

Interior space is respectable. Rear seats have leg room. Boot has carry space. Front seats have decent support. The car is not so small that you sit on top of your passengers, but it's not a big car.

Instrumentation is good. I like that the intermittent wipers have variable speed control.

I like that the fold down rear seats aren't a pain to put back again.

So what are its weak points? Car radio volume adjustment is not fine. Clutch is a little bit high. Side mirrors are quite deceptive with how far away vehicles appear to be. Speedo is a bit dark, you really need your headlights on to force the dashlights on and see the display properly. The interior is adequate, rather than luxurious.

I've owned it for seven months and thought by now I would have exposed its weaknesses. I keep finding its strengths.

I regularly drive at 110kph and feel quite secure. I used to have a 1996 Festiva and at that speed felt like I was in a tin can, one mistake away from being a mess. The Rio never gives me that feeling. It's a pleasure to drive.

Review Date: 10th July, 2017

2008 Kia Rio LX from North America

At 19,000 miles, I started to have trouble with a lot of things. First they had to replace my brakes, and I started to have trouble with the transmission. It doesn't want to shift into gear right away; it takes a minute, even though it's automatic. The dealer said the fluid is dark like it's burnt, but they won't do anything unless I pay for the flush. I don't feel that's right when obviously there's something wrong.

Now some front bearings are bad and have to be replaced; thankfully it's covered. But it just seems like maybe I have a lemon. I don't know what to do.

Troubled in Ohio.

Review Date: 27th July, 2010

2008 Kia Rio LX 1.6 from North America

Summary:

I think this car is great!

General Comments:

This is a good running car. Very cute, small, and comfy. Was afraid to buy a Kia, but it has proven me wrong and I would definitely buy another one.

Also has great gas mileage.

Review Date: 14th June, 2010

2008 Kia Rio LX 1.6L from North America

Summary:

Solid little car, and a true gas saver

Slow gear shift on the automatic transmission from reverse to drive, and vice versa.

Knock on the tin that this car is made of, no problems as of yet, but reading the review forums, I am a bit scared of the lack of warranty upholding on the part of the manufacturer.

To be frank, I have been trying to sell this car for 5 months now, and I have not had one bite yet. I am fairly priced, and I have only had auto brokers try to buy it for far below the true market value.

General Comments:

I replaced a '02 Hyundai Elantra with manual, with my '08 Kia Rio LX, automatic with the power package. Although a bit smaller, the Rio out performs the Hyundai ten fold.

I drive my Rio 140 miles round trip to work, and besides the uncomfortable seats, the car is not so bad.

The radio is a plus with the power package, upgraded 6 speaker with a sub woofer built in.

The car is a lot bigger inside than it appears. I am 6 foot tall and I have no problems getting in and out.

I have a lot of stuff in and out of this car, and it does not ever stop. I am on the go 24/7, and besides the recommended oil changes, spark plugs and transmission fluid services, normal wear, the car has been going strong since I drove off the lot.

The lot is another story, but we will not go there.

Review Date: 10th March, 2010

13th Jun 2013, 20:09

Quote:

"I have been trying to sell this car for 5 months now, and I have not had one bite yet. I am fairly priced, and I have only had auto brokers try to buy it for far below the true market value."

Assuming the car has been adequately advertised and presented, the only conclusion is that the asking price is not what the buyers consider as "fair".