Front brake rotors needed to be turned 1/2007 and are bad again 2/2008.
Outside air temp went through several replacements.
Delayed shifting fixed with reflash of TCM.
Window rattle... went away on its own.
Static on radio AM stations.
Both rear brakes light bulbs burned out & replaced at 25K miles.
Max 50 mph up a hill... happened twice in Spring '06 with no repetition since. Trans reflash/service above may have resolved it.
Brakes squeaked 12/2005, but not since then.
Clock recall July 2005.
Sunroof noise (some blue plastic hadn't been removed) 4/2005.
Back seat spot fixed. 4/2005.
We had the battery mysteriously go dead a couple of times so we are skidish and make sure the radio and fan switches and interior lights are all off before turning off the vehicle.
Quiet and smooth ride.
Solid off road (just dirt roads). Reviews were very complimentary on off road capabilities. It has 8.2" clearance.
My wife says it is "the cutest SUV out there".
Our gas mileage is as EPA advertised or slightly better.
We like the safety and the warranty. Coupled with the price, these were key factors in purchasing a Kia instead of a Honda or Toyota.
The trans requires special expensive Kia fluid which I don't like.
Rotors need a redesign as they warp too easily. The fronts are smaller than the rear? Why? They don't seem to up the brake or cooling or other systems if you select the tow hitch.
Should make the following improvements:
1) Better fuel mileage.
2) Better front brakes (eliminate premature rotor problems) and place rotors under warranty.
3) Solicit customer ideas for improvement and customer review data and other review data. Add competitor review data and customer likes. Add service department and sales department ideas. Add engineer data and make a minimum of 10 improvements with each new model.
4) Upgrade the warranty to better the best by a slight amount (5%).
5) Automatic day time running lights.
6) Make room for a second battery and any battery size.
7) Lighten the vehicle by 5-10% and unsprung wheel weight by 5%.
8) Duct air to cool brakes.
9) Add battery saver and solar battery trickle charger in roof.
10) Add true FlexFuel capability. Use turbo/supercharger air charge injection (maybe even compressed air from braking) and high pressure cylinder fuel injection and fuel type sensing to allow the use of diesel, gasoline, bio-diesel, and alcohol). Power the wheels with electric motors and power the motors with the internal combustion engine.
11) Accommodate/target customer groups like Ham radio enthusiasts (accommodate antenna and power and radio mounting needs).
12) Safety is paramount, with reliability next, then freedom from maintenance, lowest cost of owner ship for first 5 years, then resale value. Get beyond 5 star rating by being some percentage above the requirement. Research all Sorento accidents and find out what injuries were most frequent and severe and tackle those after you've reached the 5 star goal.
13) Add automatic tire pressure adjustment (or better good tires with no air to go flat! Goodbye TPMS cost and low tire pressure rollover safety issue.
14) Add sunburn proof window UV protection and IR reflecting coating that is increases with heat.