2003 Kia Spectra Reviews - Page 3 of 7

2003 Kia Spectra Base 1.8 Liter 4 cylinder from North America

Model year2003
Engine and transmission 1.8 Liter 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carMercury Sable

Summary:

An awesome car , at an awesome price!

The ECM went out at 20000 miles... it was replaced under the warranty.

The factory Kumho tires are crap.

The dealership that I bought it from (Dick Hannah Toyota in Kelso, WA.) tried to rip me off... and the Dick Hannah KIA dealership in Hazel Dell, WA. has a horrible service department.

General Comments:

I love this car. Despite the dealership trying to take me for $2700, I've gotten over it. It takes off quickly, and is an extremely quiet car. The ride is awesome as well. Despite the lack of Air Conditioning, summers aren't too bad in this car. The factory CD player with 4 speakers is awesome. I also love the color, cranberry.

Review Date: 26th December, 2004

28th Dec 2004, 12:38

And to the commentee above.. you are obviously a senior citizen or thereabout because you haven't seen the strides KIA has made in previous years. Very closeminded...

7th Mar 2005, 00:46

I'm a very satisfied 2005 KIA spectra owner and I will purchase another one. "KIA JOB WELL DONE AWESOME CAR" I rate it at 5 STARS!!!

25th Jun 2007, 23:38

Actually, I'm not a senior citizen. I bought the car when I was eighteen and it's still going strong three years and 83,000 miles later... thank god my mom bought it from me.

16th Dec 2008, 00:46

Update: I wrote this review several years ago, and we still have the car. It has 135000 miles on it and just keeps going. It seems destined to land in the hands of my little sister.

2003 Kia Spectra GSX 1.8 litre gasoline from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 litre gasoline Automatic
Previous carFord Windstar

Summary:

Reliable and replete with value

Very minor problems; a water seal around a headlight, a burned out light on a window switch, and the door lock switch is being replaced as a preventive matter.

General Comments:

This car has been excellent, reliable transportation for my family. It is heavy for its class, so there is a small fuel penalty, but the ride is comfortable on the highway and handling around town is great. Our local dealer has been excellent and has treated us like royalty.

I put approximately 500 km a week on the car, and it has never stranded me. I will probably get a second set of tires for the winter, as the set it comes with have been fine through its first four seasons, but I felt the grip occasionally sliding a bit towards the end of the past winter. Otherwise, it sticks to the pavement like glue.

The hatchback carries a huge amount of stuff, and my teenager is comfortable in the back seat. The front seats are comfortable, even on a long trip, and entry and exit is easy.

This has been a great little car. I only wish Kia offered a diesel engine option in this country.

Review Date: 3rd July, 2004

2003 Kia Spectra LS 1.8 DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.8 DOHC Automatic
Previous carKia Rio

Summary:

A very cheap, unreliable vehicle

Had a fuel pump replaced at 250 miles.

Had the engine computer reprogramed at 1,050 miles.

Had work done to the serpentine belt at 1, 085 miles.

Transmission and the fuel pump are currently going bad.

Still encountering problems with the serpentine belt.

The engine dies when the vehicle is first started up, usually in the morning.

The vehicle itself consumes quite a bit of gasoline, refuels are required at least 3 times per week.

Review Date: 13th June, 2004

1st Nov 2004, 18:22

I own a 2003 kia spectra. there is no serpitine belt under the hood. it has two belts and a timing belt. your problem is in your head.

11th Jun 2005, 01:10

He is probably talking about the timing belt which is a serpentine belt...

2003 Kia Spectra Base 1.8 from North America